S.E.A Backpacker Magazine was thought up in 2009 by a wide-eyed young traveller from England. She wanted to create a ‘Travel Diary for Everyone’ – a place where people could share their stories, tips and experiences of life on the road… it was also a spectacular excuse not to return home!
With 30 print magazines over five years (you can view them all here!) South East Asia Backpacker Magazine gained fame and popularity all over South East Asia which spread internationally as people followed our website and online magazine.
In July 2014, we decided to make our magazine a FREE digital download in order to reach more people globally as well as launching new websites in South America and Europe (coming soon!) and an exciting new trip-booking website – BackpackerBookings.com.
What makes THIS magazine so unique is that everyone has the chance to be published. You don’t need to be a professional travel writer to share your travel tales.
From poems and scribbles to photographs and in-depth feature articles – this magazine is a combination of everyone’s travel memories. You’ll find the adventurous free spirit of the backpacker with every page. There’s no other magazine like it on earth.
So – we thought we’d take this involvement one step further and set up the ‘S.E.A Backpacker Ambassador Program’ (we also have the same program for South America and Europe) allowing YOU to become part of our team while you travel!
The Role of An Ambassador
1. Reporting on Your Current Travels: We want to know where you have been, and so does the entire backpacking community! As an ambassador we would ask you to upload pictures from some of your favorite places, share your stories and tips via our blog and magazine, and help update our online destination guides with relevant on the ground information!
2. Networking/ Marketing: Backpacking is all about creating a community and we want you to help us expand ours! While traveling we will ask you to keep your eye out for new hostels, adventure companies and possible new advertisers.
3. Reviewing new tours, hostels, or activities: When new things start up we want to be the first to know about it. As our ambassador checking out what’s new and letting us know your thoughts will be part of your duties.
* Please note that this is not a paid position.
What’s in it for YOU
1. Great for your CV!
Spending a year travelling in South East Asia and worried that the strict job market back home will think you’ve spent a year as a beach bum getting drunk every day? Want something that looks good on your CV? Gain experience in publishing, journalism and marketing. We’ll give you a valuable reference if you’re good at what you do!
2. Be Part of something unique & exciting.
We are just like you. Travel loving nomads with a lust for big ideas. We started S.E.A Backpacker Magazine with nothing but a dream and a few dollars left in our pocket… And with determination and passion we’re growing to become a global magazine. Work closely with the entrepreneurial team & be a part of this crazy ride that inspires people to travel!
3. Get free trips & free accommodation!
Open exclusively to our S.E.A Backpacker Ambassadors. We may ask you to spend a free night in a flashpacker hostel, go to a festival, review an adventure tour, try out a restaurant or be present at the launch party of a new backpacker bar. You’ll be our reporter on the ground. You’ll have your camera at the ready to take photographs and send us a review of your experience. And – you don’t pay a thing! Sound good?
VIP Media Passes at the Rainforest World Music Festival in Borneo
Who Are We Looking For?
- We are looking for adventurous, hard working individuals with as much enthusiasm and passion for travel as we’ve got!
- Helpful but not required is someone with relevant experience in journalism, marketing, or social media.
- Must be proficient in Facebook / Twitter / Instagram.
- Applicants who will be more closely considered will be those traveling to various locations in South East Asia, and who will be staying for more than three months.
- Not essential, but helpful if you are traveling with portable laptop / and iphone / android phone for instant communication.
Think You’ve Got What it Takes? How To Apply
All potential ambassadors will need to do two things:
You will need to fill out the contact form on our website, making sure you tell us the following things (in number order):
- Who are you?
- Why do you want to be an ambassador?
- Why would you be totally great at it?
- Do you have a travel blog?
- Do you have any journalism / marketing experience?
- Tell us a rough outline of your travels.
- Do you have a laptop / iphone / android?
- Do you use Skype? Please provide Skype address if so.
- What’s the most important thing for you to experience during this trip?
- Describe a perfect travel moment.
Please choose a destination in South East Asia that is not yet listed on our website as a destination guide –www.southeastasiabackpacker.
* Please note that if you’re not chosen as an ambassador this time, the destination page that you have written could still be used on our website – and of course will be credited it to you with a link to a personal blog of yours if you have one. Please let me know if you would rather this not be so.
If we think you’re the kind of person who will fit nicely into our team, we’ll arrange an interview with you via Skype. Look forward to meeting you!