Updated April 19th, 2018.
Why take this class?
This cooking class is a unique experience; we are not a restaurant or a street stall. This experience lets you see the preparation of the food from scratch, eat the delicious meals, talk with the chefs as they help you prepare your own food, then later, simply chat as a “Lanna family”.
How local is it?
Authentically Local! Experience the lives of the traditional local ‘Lanna’ people, get involved with their culture and food, either at dinner or lunchtime. There are many things to be learned & shared!
What makes it unique?
Lanna food (which is uniquely different from Thai food), local transportation, beautiful countryside environment and local chefs.
- Pick-up by your host “Aoy.” She will then take you to visit the local market and you will continue to her house by local transport, also know as “Rod Song Taew”, “Motor-Tricycle” or “Rod Phong.”
- You will then visit the local village and organic farm.
- We will cook Lanna food together, just like a family, talking & sharing experiences with Aoy & her family.
- (The food will be Northern Thai food or Lanna food, cooked in a charcoal stove.)
- We will then have a meal together as locals do.
- The house is located in the countryside, surrounded by rice fields, fruit orchards and an organic farm that will put you in touch with real locals. See how locals live, share their culture and eat together with them.
There are four dishes to cook including dessert. For example:
- Mixed vegetable local curry with chicken
- Khao Soi (Chiang Mai noodles)
- Chicken Soup with tamarind leaves
- Abb Moo (Mince pork with curry paste wrap in banana leaves)
- Abb Pla (Fish with curry paste wrap in banana leaves)
- Sai Aou (Chiang Mai sausage)
- Laap Moo Kaou (Mince pork local spicy salad)
- Naam Prick Ong (Tomato and chilli dipping paste)
- Kanom Krok (Thai pudding)
- Kanom Wong (Thai doughnut)
- Mango with sticky rice
- Deep fried pumpkin
- Deep fried banana flower
The program is organized for Lunchtime or Dinner time
Lunchtime schedule: 09.00 am – 03.00 pm.
Dinner time schedule: 04.00 pm. – 09.00 pm.
• Vegetarian option is available, please advise at time of booking if required
• A minimum of 2 people per booking is required.
(The price listed is for 2 people as the class requires a minimum of two people to run. If you would like to join a class as 1 person, please inquire about the date and we will let you know if you can join another class!)
- All of the ingredients for the meal & Lanna cooking facilities.
- Pick up & Drop off by local transport within 3 km of Chiang Mai City.
- Water / Tea / Coffee / Seasonal Fruit.
- A visit to an organic farm.
- Thai Recipe book to take with you, compiled by Panphailin Puntira.
- Soft drink / Alcohol / Souvenirs / personal spending.