Our recently added “Open back 4×4 truck” is an absolute must for those wanting a more laid back driving experience with the same views as you’ll get by bike. After a long days drive we kick back at night sampling the local rice- wine and customs such as bathing in a local spa, checking out traditional markets and festivals and, of course, the ancient art of karaoke (a much loved Vietnamese pastime)! It is truly a trip like no other – the culmination of our constant exploration and desire to find what we think is the True North of Vietnam.
Departure: Hanoi – Ha Giang (8hrs by sleeper bus)
*Departure times from Hanoi Old Quarter: 10pm.
- Departure from areas such as Ninh Binh, Cat Ba (Halong), Sapa or Cao Bang to Ha Giang can be organized. Please contact us for more info.
- The driver will make a toilet/food break at about the halfway point.
- We do however advise bringing snacks on the bus or eating beforehand, as the stopping points do not offer much.
DAY 1: (85km) Ha Giang – Du Gia (L,D)
- Breakfast in Ha Giang, while your guide gets you organised with the bikes and prepare for an epic adventure!
- Departing Ha Giang city towards the fairytale area of Du Gia national park. This stunning new road follows the Lo River with many waterfalls, unbelievable photographic viewpoints, amazing forestry and many an opportunity for local interaction.
- A freshly prepared lunch will be had at a local restaurant before arriving at our accommodation for the night.
- Depending on weather conditions, we can head up to some natural spring fed waterfalls for an afternoon swim and a beer!
- Dinner will be at our accommodation enjoyed with a sample of the local corn whisky!
DAY 2: (100km) Du Gia – Ma Pi Leng Canyon – Dong Van (B,L,D)
- Up early for breakfast and departing soon after, we are once again on the road as we witness this intrepid area come to life as the local minority people tend their farms and buffalo work the fields.
- With several stops along the way, including ruins from French colonial times, today will be what most people will call the best scenery the country has to offer!
- Heading towards Meo Vac township for a local lunch and then onward through the picturesque Ma Pi Leng pass, this is where the scenery gets truly epic!
- Once at our accommodation in Dong Van township, we will have a delicious local dinner and a few beers with an amazing view!
DAY 3 (150km) Dong Van – Ha Giang city (B,L)
- Early rising once again, we will have breakfast before we meander our way back towards Ha Giang city.
- We will visit a few points of interest along the way including the ancient H’mong king’s palace, more and more amazing view points and photo ops!
- Lunch will be had in one of the longest standing restaurants in the township of Yen Minh before we are back on the bikes and arriving back to Ha Giang late afternoon. What an adventure!
- Have a shower, sit back with a few beers and have some dinner before making your next move!
- We can accommodate anybody wanting to stay on longer in Ha Giang and get transport back to Hanoi the following day for example, or also the option to get the 10pm bus- arriving in Hanoi at 9am.
What to bring:
- Enclosed footwear (hiking boots / sneakers), long pants (jeans preferable), a long sleeved shirt (preferable to a T Shirt), sunglasses & rain jacket / umbrella for short walk.
- Wear after a day’s riding: Shorts, singlets, flip-flops / jandals / thongs. Whatever you are comfortable in. (Warm stuff for the winter months).
What will you eat:
- We eat Vietnamese food and emphasise on fresh and local products wherever possible to support the villagers in the area.
- If you have any specific dietary requirements or allergies, please make our staff aware before departing on the trip.
- We advise you to take snacks with you, as choice can be limited once in the Ha Giang Province.
*We are not responsible for any personal injury or loss / damage to personal belongings or bags if they are not in the car.
*Travel / Health Insurance: Travel insurance is NOT included in the trip; we strongly recommend that you have your own travel insurance against illness, injury, loss/damage to personal belongings.
- Passport, Sun cream, insect repellant, some pocket money for water and any other liquid refreshment (Your travel permit / accommodation / fuel / food is provided by Flipside.)
- There are towels provided at all the accommodation locations.
What the weather would be like for this time of the year:
There are 4 seasons in the North of Vietnam. Depending on what month they will travel. Hot weather will start from March till September. Cold will begin from October to the end of February.
Can we cater for vegetarians and vegans:
As we have been running our business for almost 10 years, we have been catering for lots of food restrictions, including vegetarians and vegans. There will be a variety of choices.
If we don’t have a driving license, can we ride?:
We enquire about IDP for self drivers. If anyone doesn’t have a bike license, they will need to be passengers. This is for safety and quality.