We’re looking for Travel Writers!
Travel evokes a variety of feelings in different people. That’s why we like to have diverse voices on our website! Could you be a travel writer for us?
Do you have a story or an opinion that you want people to hear, or that isn’t getting enough views on your own travel blog? We’d love to publish your most exciting travel experiences, your destination guides, the lessons you’ve learnt on the road and your passionate rants!
We’ll include a bio, and link to your travel blog and social networks. We’ll also promote the article via our social networks so that you can get more traffic for your work!
Please submit your article via the form at the bottom of this page!
So what type of writing are we looking for?
1. Write a Featured Article
We’re looking for featured articles that we’ll publish as a blog on our homepage. These articles can be opinion pieces, destination spotlights, a story about a recent travel experience or a guide to a particular aspect of backpacking in South East Asia. We are open to writing that’s tongue in cheek, as well as serious travel advice.
Some examples of our recent articles:
- Opinion piece – “Begpacking”: Backpackers Behaving Badly? Or the Latest Scapegoat for the World’s Inequality?
- Destination spotlight – Sukhothai Vs Ayutthaya – How Do You Choose Which UNESCO Site To Visit?
- Travel experience – Cambodian Cycle Adventure. On Yer Bike!
- Backpacker guide (humorous) – The Bum Gun, a Beginner’s Guide, ‘Cos Toilets in Asia Ain’t Easy
- Guide (serious) – Your 5 Point Guide to Eco-Friendly Travel
FAQs for Feature Articles
- How long should my article be? We’re not strict, but we’re looking for around 1,000 words.
- Should I send photos with my article? Yes, please! When you submit your article the form below will allow you to attach one featured image (the one that’ll show at the top of the page), if we accept your article for publication, we will open e-mail dialogue with you, at which point you can provide us with more photos to use in the piece.
- What if I have a great article, but no photos? You can either find some ‘usage rights’ free images on Google and send them to us. Or, you can just submit your article and we can use some from our photo bank. It’s up to you.
- Should I include links in my article? Yes. You can include relevant links to travel resources and companies that you have used to travel with, or perhaps websites where people can find more information about what you’re talking about.
- Can I include links to my Instagram / facebook / Pinterest in my bio? Yep, no probs.
- How long should my bio be? Just a few sentences about you; where you’re from, where you’ve travelled and any other interesting info.
2. Write / Update a Destination Page
As South East Asia is constantly changing so is our website! We strive to bring you up to date information on our favourite places in South East Asia, but sometimes you may actually know more than we do. With that in mind here are two ways that you can help us keep our website in tip-top shape:
- Current destination page updates – Email us with any additions or revisions that you have about our current destination guides.
- New destination pages – Create a destination page for any place that we haven’t already covered via the form below. This could be your favourite place, somewhere off the beaten track* or your hometown!
*We are particularly interested in unusual or off the beaten track places that are non-touristy, or brand new on the backpacker scene. So, if you’ve visited somewhere lately that was void of backpackers, then be the first to publish a destination guide on our website.
How will I structure my destination page?
- Introduction – Write a few attention-grabbing paragraphs that sum up the place that you have just visited. Remember, destination guides don’t always have to be positive. If you’ve got something negative to say about this place, be honest!
- Places to stay – Tell us about the particular areas that are best suited for backpackers. If you like you can recommend specific hostels/guesthouses that you visited during your trip.
- Things to eat (optional section) – If you’re a food lover (like us), you may like to include an extra section on must-try dishes whilst in your destination.
- Things to do – Tell us how to spend our time, a bulleted list of at least six worthwhile activities.
- Getting there – Let us know how to reach this destination. Is it best to fly? Bus it? Walk? Parachute in from a private helicopter? (If so, we think you should try writing for another website)
- Where to go next? Lastly, recommend a couple of places that are logical to visit next after this destination.
*Don’t forget your author bio – Just a few sentences about you; where you’re from, where you’ve travelled and any other interesting info. We’re happy to include links to your personal travel blog and social networking sites.
FAQs for Destination Pages
- How long should my destination page be? We’re not fussy! If you’ve got lots to say about your chosen destination, then please tell us!
- Should I include photos? Yes, please! When you submit your article the form below will allow you to attach one featured image (the one that’ll show at the top of the page), if we accept your article for publication, we will open e-mail dialogue with you, at which point you can provide us with more photos to use in the piece. We want photos of the landscape, food and any activities you tried. Selfies, not so much.
- What if I don’t have any photos? You can either find some ‘usage rights’ free images on Google and send them to us. Or, you can send us just submit your article and we can use some from our photo bank. It’s up to you.
Will you share my article on social media?
Hell yes! We want to share your article with as many people as possible. If you have a page for your travel blog on Facebook, we’ll link to it when we share and tag you on Twitter, Instagram or any other social network you fancy!
Why write for us?
- Backlinks to your website – While at this time we regret we cannot pay for articles, we can provide you with a personal bio, link back to your own travel blog and social media channels.
- Social media promotion – We will also promote your article on our own social media (SEA Backpacker Facebook has 67k likes), which is a great way of boosting the traffic on your own blog!
- Kickstart your travel blogging career – South East Asia Backpacker helped to launch the career of many famous travel bloggers, who had articles published regularly in both our printed magazine and on our website. Their work for South East Asia Backpacker helped to expand the reach of their own travel blogs, and now many of them are professional travel bloggers!
IMPORTANT: We cannot publish an article that has already been published on your own blog, so please do not just copy and paste one of your own blog articles below. The article must be 100% original.
Submit Your Article:
Follow in the Footsteps of…
- Goats on the Road (SEA Backpacker Ambassadors) – Read one of their articles here.
- NOMADASAURUS (SEA Backpacker Ambassadors) – Read one of their articles here.
- The Broke Backpacker (SEA Backpacker Ambassador) – Read one of Will’s articles here.
- Where in the World is Nina (SEA Backpacker Ambassador) – Read one of Nina’s article here.
- Backpacks and Bunkbeds – Read Neil’s article here.
- Paper Planes – Read Alana’s article here.
- Travel Fashion Girl – Read Alexandra’s article here.
- Gap Year Escape – Article featured in SEA Backpacker Magazine Issue 2.
- Flip’n Travels – Article featured in SEA Backpacker Magazine Issue 12.
- We are sole sisters – Article featured in SEA Backpacker Magazine Issue 16.
- Alex in Wanderland – Article featured in SEA Backpacker Magazine Issue 26.
- Backpacker Banter – Article featured in SEA Backpacker Magazine Issue 27.