Updated May 21st, 2018.
Everyone can be a travel writer!
South East Asia Backpacker is a not like other travel blogs. Although there are two people behind the scenes of this website (meet Nikki and Dave), we’re not two people telling you how to travel or telling you that we know best. We don’t know best!
Who knows best? The person who just left a place yesterday, the backpacker who got scammed and will never make the same mistake twice, the traveller who has just discovered a deserted paradise island! In other words – YOU, the traveller on the ground!
South East Asia Backpacker aims to create a supportive community for travellers across the region who share knowledge and tips with others. We aim to keep this website as up to date as possible, but we can’t do that without your help!
Southeast Asia is a big area and things are changing all of the time. If you see a mistake in one of our travel guides or see how we could update and improve it then please contact us (instead of trolling us on social media!)
If you’d like to submit an article, write a travel guide or send in a life-changing tale of love, pirates, gin and fish sauce, then that’s totally up to you!
What do writers get in return?
Although we don’t have any money to pay for travel writers. We can offer you something truly unique. Unlike other travel blogs, we hand over the perks of running a travel website over to you!
We often get asked to stay at hostels for free, try out trips and tours, and attend festivals in exchange for writing an honest review on our website. As there’s just two of us, we can’t possibly accept all of these invitations (plus, we’re getting a bit old for booze cruises!) and so we send news of these opportunities to our newsletter subscribers.
If you like the sound of any of these freebies, then all you have to do is reply to the email. You’ll be asked to send in an example of your writing and if chosen, your assignment will be to write a full review of that experience, as well as updating the travel guide to the place where the experience/hostel is located. While you’re there if you find any other interesting scoop that other travellers should know about, send it over! You’ll be our ears, eyes and flip-flops on the ground!
Treat this website like your own travel blog. Keep it healthy and it will reward you with all of the benefits that we’ve been offered over the years (and can’t take advantage of). This is a unique opportunity to be a part of something truly special. “A travel blog for everyone.”
With every article, we’ll include your name, bio, and link to your travel blog and social networks.
IMPORTANT: Please submit your article via the form at the bottom of this page!
What type of writing are we looking for?
1. Featured articles:
We’re looking for featured articles that we’ll publish as a blog on our homepage. These articles can be opinion pieces, destination spotlights, a story about a recent travel experience or a guide to a particular aspect of backpacking in South East Asia. We are open to writing that’s tongue in cheek, as well as serious travel advice.
Some examples of our recent articles:
- Opinion piece – “Begpacking”: Backpackers Behaving Badly? Or the Latest Scapegoat for the World’s Inequality?
- Destination spotlight – Sukhothai Vs Ayutthaya – How Do You Choose Which UNESCO Site To Visit?
- Travel experience – Cambodian Cycle Adventure. On Yer Bike!
- Backpacker guide (humorous) – The Bum Gun, a Beginner’s Guide, ‘Cos Toilets in Asia Ain’t Easy
- Guide (serious) – Your 5 Point Guide to Eco-Friendly Travel
2. Submit new travel guides or send us updates to existing guides
As Southeast Asia is constantly changing so is our website! We strive to bring you up to date information on our favourite places in South East Asia, but most of the time, you know more than we do! With that in mind here are two ways that you can help us keep our website in tip-top shape:
- Current travel guide updates – Get in touch with any additions or revisions that you have about our current destination guides.
- New travel guides – Create a destination page for any place that we haven’t already covered via the form below. This could be your favourite place, somewhere off the beaten track* or your hometown!
*We are particularly interested in unusual or off the beaten track places that are non-touristy, or brand new on the backpacker scene. So, if you’ve visited somewhere lately that was void of backpackers, then be the first to publish a destination guide on our website!
How will I structure my travel guide?
- Introduction – Write a few attention-grabbing paragraphs that sum up the place that you have just visited. Remember, destination guides don’t always have to be positive. If you’ve got something negative to say about this place, be honest!
- Places to stay – Tell us about the particular areas that are best suited for backpackers. If you like you can recommend specific hostels/guesthouses that you visited during your trip.
- Things to eat (optional section) – If you’re a food lover (like us), you may like to include an extra section on must-try dishes whilst in your destination.
- Things to do – Tell us how to spend our time, a bulleted list of at least six worthwhile activities.
- Getting there – Let us know how to reach this destination. Is it best to fly? Bus it? Walk? Parachute in from a private helicopter? (If so, we think you should try writing for another website)
- Where to go next? Lastly, recommend a couple of places that are logical to visit next after this destination.
FAQs for Writers
How many words should my article or travel guide be? The more the better! If you’ve got a lot to say, then go for it! Some of the best travel guides on this website are 5,000+ words plus. The minimum is 1,000 words.
How am I credited for my article? Along with your article or travel guide, please send us a few sentences about you; where you’re from, where you’ve travelled and any other relevant info. We’re happy to include links to your personal travel blog and social networking sites.
Should I include photos? Yes, please! When you submit your article the form below will allow you to attach one featured image (the one that’ll show at the top of the page), if we accept your article for publication, we will open e-mail dialogue with you, at which point you can provide us with more photos to use in the piece. We want photos of the landscape, food and any activities you tried. Selfies, not so much.
What if I have a great article, but no photos? You can either find some ‘usage rights’ free images on Google and send them to us. Or, you can just submit your article and we can use some from our photo bank. It’s up to you.
Should I include links in my article? Yes. You can include relevant links to travel resources and companies that you have used to travel with, or perhaps websites where people can find more information about what you’re talking about.
Can I include links to my Instagram / facebook / Pinterest in my bio? Yep, no probs.
How long should my bio be? Just a few sentences about you; where you’re from, where you’ve travelled and any other interesting info.
Will you share my article on social media? Hell yes! We want to share your article with as many people as possible. If you have a page for your travel blog on Facebook, we’ll link to it when we share and tag you on Twitter, Instagram or any other social network you fancy!
Do you give do-follow backlinks? We can provide a link to your travel blog and/or social media accounts. However, for those of you looking for SEO juice, we regret that due to the sheer number of contributions we get to this website, we must make the link a no-follow,
Can I share an article with you that I’ve already published on my own blog? To avoid penalties from Google, we cannot publish an article that has already been published on your own blog or elsewhere online, so please do not just copy and paste one of your own blog articles. The article must be 100% original.
Submit Your Article:
Join Our Community
Add purpose to your travels.
Do you want to find out about free opportunities to review hostels and experiences, as well as keep up to date with the latest travel news in Southeast Asia & get special offers on trips? Thought so!
South East Asia Backpacker's Chosen Resources!
"These are the companies that we put our trust in during our travels in Southeast Asia. If you're going to book flights, hotels or buy travel insurance, please support our website by using the affiliate links below. That way, we'll receive a small commission - at no extra cost to you!" (Nikki & Dave - SEA Backpacker Editors)