Updated 15th May 2022.
LATEST LAOS COVID-19 NEWS:
- 9th May 2022 – Laos fully reopens to international tourists. Land borders have also reopened. Source.
- 8th May 2022 – Laos decides to drop entry testing for fully vaccinated international tourists. Source.
- 20th April 2022 – Laos decides that all international tourists must take a COVID-19 test on arrival. Source.
Disclaimer: COVID-19 travel restrictions are changing every day and the following information reflects South East Asia’s Backpacker’s understanding of the current rules for entry. While we update this article regularly to ensure the information is as current as it can be, we cannot be held responsible for any errors or omissions.
Laos Travel Restrictions
Can you travel to Laos right now?
Yes, Laos has now reopened to international travellers.
Vaccinated travellers can travel to Laos quarantine and test free.
Unvaccinated and partially vaccinated travellers will need to adhere to testing requirements. There is no longer a quarantine in place.
Before you enter Laos, you will need:
Required Entry Documents
- Certificate of vaccination (if fully vaccinated)
- VOA, visa exemptions and E-visas now available
- Required ATK test result (see below) if unvaccinated or partially vaccinated
Travel insurance is always recommended for travellers, however, there is no longer a COVID-19 requirement. If you contract the virus, you will be expected to pay for your own treatment.
SafetyWing is the travel insurance of choice for scores of backpackers!
- Subscription style insurance
- Offers COVID-19 cover
- Available after your trip has started
COVID-19 Tests Required
- You will be required to take an ATK COVID-19 test within 48 hours of leaving your own country. This only applies to unvaccinated and partially vaccinated travellers.
There is no longer a quarantine period in place for international travellers.
Local COVID-19 Rules and Regulations
The rules and regulations below are only meant to serve as a guide and the situation is prone to change rapidly without warning. For more information on local rules and restrictions visit the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Lao PDR.
- FACE COVERINGS – Recommended for all. Also see: Best face masks for travel.
- SOCIAL DISTANCING – 1m social distancing in place.
- CURFEWS – Curfews can be introduced without notice. Keep an eye on local media.
- PUBLIC TRANSPORT – Masks advisable.
- VENUES AND GATHERINGS – COVID-19 preventative measures are in place in venues. You should carry proof of your vaccination status at all times.
- MOVEMENT OF PEOPLE – Travel restrictions in Laos have ended for fully vaccinated travellers.
All border crossings are now open. If you want to travel to Thailand via land, you will need to apply for permission here.
- Laos in the time of COVID (Facebook group)
- UK Foreign Advice to Laos
- US Embassy of Laos
- OSAC Travel Advisories
- Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Lao PDR
- The Humanitarian Data Exchange
Join Over 20,000 Happy Backpackers in Our Facebook Group!
Find travel buddies. Get advice. Have all your questions answered by travellers on the ground in Southeast Asia right now.