Updated 18th January 2022.
LATEST CAMBODIA COVID-19 NEWS:
- 7th December 2021 – Cambodia has lifted the ban on travellers from 10 African countries over fears about the Omicron variant. Source.
- 26th November 2021 – Cambodia and Singapore launch VTL. Source.
- 14th November 2021 – Cambodia makes surprise announcement that it is reopening to vaccinated travellers without quarantine from 15th November 2021. Source.
Disclaimer: COVID-19 travel restrictions are changing every day and the following information reflects South East Asia’s Backpacker’s understanding of the current rules for entry. While we update this article regularly to ensure the information is as current as it can be, we cannot be held responsible for any errors or omissions.
Cambodia Travel Restrictions
Can you travel to Cambodia right now?
Yes. Cambodia is open for all international travellers, however, it’s expensive and complicated for unvaccinated travellers to go there. Since 30th March 2020, visas on arrival were suspended. Visitors must arrange a visa in advance.
- Must provide proof of vaccination on arrival
- Take a COVID-19 lateral flow test on arrival and wait for result
- If result is negative, no quarantine is required
At this time, Cambodia recognises the following COVID-19 vaccines:
Gamaleya (Sputnik Light), Gamaleya(Sputnik V), AstraZeneca, Pfizer, Janssen, Chumakov (KoviVak), Sinovac, Sinopharm.
- Must take a COVID-19 PCR test on arrival
- Complete mandatory 14-day quarantine
- Pre book quarantine hotel or demonstrate that you have $2000USD in cash
- If you have not prebooked a hotel, you’ll be transferred to a hotel based on availability
Before you enter Cambodia, you will need:
Required Entry Documents
- To arrange a visa in advance. (Since 30th March 2020, visas on arrival into Cambodia have been suspended indefinitely, however, e-Visas have now been reinstated.)
- A medical certificate within 72 hours of the date of travel stating that you do not have COVID-19. The certificate must be from a respected health centre or hospital and should be officially stamped and signed by a qualified medical professional to certify the result.
- Proof of your vaccination status.
- Non-resident foriegners will need travel insurance that covers COVID-19. It needs to cover potential hospitilisation, treatment and costs of quarantine if medically required. It must have a minimum of $50,000 USD for medical cover.
Our Recommended Travel Insurance During the COVID-19 Pandemic – SafetyWing’s Nomad Insurance is one of the few travel insurance offering full COVID-19 sickness cover as part of their International Medical Cover.
COVID-19 Tests Required
- Everyone will need to take a COVID-19 test on entry. Vaccinated travellers need only take a lateral flow whereas unvaccinated travellers will take a PCR. Unvaccinated travellers will take another PCR test on day 13 of their hotel quarantine to be carried out by the Khmer-Soveity Friendship Hospital or the Chak Angre Clinic in Phnom Penh.
- Vaccinated: No quarantine required.
Those under 18 who are not vaccinated must quarantine in accordance with the period which applies to the accompanying adult.
- Non-Vaccinated: 14 days at a government quarantine facility.
Local COVID-19 Rules and Regulations
The rules and regulations below are only meant to serve as a guide and the situation is prone to change rapidly without warning. For more information on local rules and restrictions visit the Ministry of Health for Cambodia.
- FACE COVERINGS – Also see: Best face masks for travel.
- SOCIAL DISTANCING – Compulory all over the country.
- CURFEWS – There are currently no curfews in place but they can spring up at short notice.
- PUBLIC TRANSPORT – Face masks must be worn on public transport.
- VENUES AND GATHERINGS – Many hospitality venues and hotels have been forced to close permanently. A number of public places including gyms, casinos, karaoke rooms and nightclubs remain closed until further notice. Gatherings are restricted to 50 people.
- MOVEMENT OF PEOPLE – Local restrictions can change rapidly without notice. You could be asked for proof of vaccination for entrance into some public spaces.
Map of Travel Restrictions in Cambodia:
This handy map documents current updates on lockdowns, curfews and other local restrictions. Source.
This map was made by the non-profit organisation, MapIt.KH, which is run by both local and foreign Cambodian residents. Here is an explainer video on how to use the map to stay informed about the latest COVID-19 restrictions across Cambodia…
You can read more about the map on their website here. (Please note we cannot verify the accuracy of the map nor be responsible for any errors.)
- Ministry of Health for Cambodia
- Cambodian Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation
- UK Government Travel Advice
- US Embassy in Cambodia
- Global Travel Advisories
- Mapit.KH – Map of Internal Travel Restrictions in Cambodia
- Phnom Penh Post Newspaper
- The Humanitarian Data Exchange
South East Asia Backpacker Newsletter
Keep up to date with the latest travel news. Be the first on the plane when travel opens up.