LATEST MALAYSIA COVID-19 NEWS:
- 7th September 2022 – Malaysia lifts its indoor mask mandate in all places except for public transport and medical facilities. Source.
- 1st August 2022 – Malaysia drops all previous Covid-19 entry requirements for international travellers and reopens for tourism. All travellers are welcome to Malaysia regardless of vaccine status as of 1st August 2022. Source.
- 1st April 2022 – Malaysia has reopened to fully vaccinated international tourists for the first time since the pandemic began. Source.
Disclaimer: COVID-19 travel restrictions are changing every day and the following information reflects South East Asia’s Backpacker’s understanding of the current rules for entry. While we update this article regularly to ensure the information is as current as it can be, we cannot be held responsible for any errors or omissions.
Malaysia Travel Restrictions
Can you travel to Malaysia right now?
From 1st August 2022, all travellers can enter Malaysia regardless of vaccination status.
From 1st August 2022, all travellers can enter Malaysia regardless of vaccination status. You are no longer required to show proof of vaccination against Covid-19.
Before you enter Malaysia, you will need:
Required Entry Documents
- Valid visa
- Return flight ticket
- Download MySejahtera app.
- Malaysia dropped the Covid-19 travel insurance requirement on May 1st 2022. Insurance that covers Covid-19 treatment is still highly recommended.
SafetyWing is the travel insurance of choice for scores of backpackers!
- Subscription style insurance
- Offers COVID-19 cover
- Available after your trip has started
COVID-19 Tests Required
- Fully vaccinated: No testing requirements.
- Unvaccinated / partially vaccinated: No testing requirements.
There is no mandatory quarantine period on arrival to Malaysia.
Local COVID-19 Rules and Regulations
The rules and regulations below are only meant to serve as a guide and the situation is prone to change rapidly without warning. For more information on local rules and restrictions visit MyGovernment – Malaysia Government Portal.
- FACE COVERINGS – Wearing a face mask both outdoors and indoors is optional. Indoor mask mandates have been lifted but are still required on public transport and medical facilities. Also see: Best face masks for travel.
- SOCIAL DISTANCING – Social distancing is recommended in public spaces.
- CURFEWS – Once you are in Malaysia it is best to check government websites and newspapers for the latest information.
- PUBLIC TRANSPORT – Masks are required on public transport.
- VENUES AND GATHERINGS – Hotels and guesthouses are open across Malaysia, though many have closed. There could be additional measures in place in some venues.
- MOVEMENT OF PEOPLE – There are no active travel restrictions over movement in West Malaysia. In East Malaysia, you should contact the Malaysian High Commission for clarification on the latest rules.
Three land borders between Thailand and Malaysia are now open. The land border with Indonesia (on the island of Borneo) is closed. The land border between Malaysia and Singapore reopened 1st April 2022, with no quarantine or testing requirements.
- UK Government Foreign Travel Advice
- US Embassy in Malaysia
- OSAC Travel Advisories
- MyGovernment – Malaysia Government Portal
- The Humanitarian Data Exchange
Join Over 20,000 Happy Backpackers in Our Facebook Group!
Find travel buddies. Get advice. Have all your questions answered by travellers on the ground in Southeast Asia right now.