1. New Leaf Book Café- Siem Reap, CambodiaWhere your money goes: Back into the companies internal English training program and service academy, which is offered free to all employees. New Leaf Book Café also supports local NGO’s located in Siem Reap. Order up: Mushroom soup, club sandwiches, and mango salad. Bonus: Plenty of awesome books for sale as well!
Books and scrumptious food, you can’t go wrong- New Leaf Book Cafe!
2. Koto-Hanoi and Saigon, VietnamWhere your money goes: The slogan stands for “Know one. Teach on.” Having all ready trained over 600 students the company aims to provide real life hospitality training that can help elevate the financial situation of their students. Order up: Red beef curry, sautéed eggplant, and salad nicoise. Bonus: In addition to two restaurants Koto offers cooking classes, an online bakery, and a catering service.
Koto graduating class of 2014!
3. Sister Srey Café-Siem Reap, CambodiaWhere your money goes: Helping each staff member earn a University degree. Currently there is a staff member pursuing banking, another interior design, and the third wants to be a lawyer. In addition all 6 children of the staff are being put through English classes. Order up: Carrot cake, fabulous coffee, and beef and chicken burgers. Bonus: The two Aussie owners are young (21 and 23), ambitious, and full of positive energy!
The adorable Aussie owners of Sister Srey in Cambodia!
4. Cabbages and Condoms- Bangkok and Chiang Rai, ThailandWhere your money goes: To help slow the high natility rate in Thailand. Projects include providing free vasectomies, mobile health clinics, HIV awareness and prevention, and contraception distribution (hence the name). Order up: Panang curry, soft shell crab, and fish cakes. Bonus: Instead of chocolates expect condoms delivered with your bill.
Cabbages and Condoms: “Our food is guaranteed not to cause pregnancy!”
5. Pun Pun- Chiang Mai, ThailandWhere your money goes: Into promoting northern Thailand’s organic farmers. All ingredients are locally sourced thus creating a growing sustainable market for products indigenous to the area. Order up: Avocado salad, 5 grain black rice porridge, massaman curry. Bonus: Two locations in Chiang Mai- one entirely vegetarian. Plus you can organize trips to the farm where cooking courses are available.
The beautiful Pun Pun Organic Farm, the restaurants main source for it’s fresh veggies!
6. Lanterns- Nha Trang, VietnamWhere your money goes: Back into supporting 12 local schools and orphanages, by providing support, scholarship programs, and an additional food supply. Order up: Lemon grass and chili chicken, lot leaf beef, and pasta- pesto and cashew nut. Bonus: Also offers cooking classes and local area tours.
7. Green Star- Siem Reap, Cambodia Green Gecko ProjectWhere your money goes: Into the “Green Gecko Project” which aims to empower and support ex-street begging children. Order up: Spicy duck, sweet corn, and frog with pepper sauce. Bonus: 100% of the profits go right back into the project!
8. Friends- Phnom Phen, CambodiaWhere your money goes: Friends aims to get homeless children off the streets by providing them valuable work related skills training. Children help in all aspects of the business; cooking, managing, and waitressing. Order up: Zucchini fritters, Burmese chicken curry, and chocolate cheese cake. Bonus: Food is served tapas style, meaning you get the chance to sample a plethora of tasty treats! Also, there is a nail spa and shop next store run by the same NGO!
A delicious feast of tapas at “Friends” restaurant, Phnom Phen.
9. Makphet- Vientiene, LaosWhere your money goes: Run by the same NGO that started Friends Restaurant in Cambodia. The idea is the same: to provide valuable training skills to disadvantaged youth. Order up: Green mango chicken salad, beef larb, Mekong fish. Bonus: Great shop on site selling fair trade products.
10. The Starfish Bakery- Sihanoukville, CambodiaWhere your money goes: Funds help to support the “Starfish Project” which supports everything from health care, community development, and housing projects. Order up: Chocolate milkshake, grilled chicken panini, cookies, cakes, and brownies. Bonus: Gluten free options!
Join Over 20,000 Happy Backpackers in Our Facebook Group!
Find travel buddies. Get advice. Have all your questions answered by travellers on the ground in Southeast Asia right now.