Spend three incredible days surrounded by undiscovered beauty in the village of Mai Chau and its surrounding areas. Enjoy local life and culture in the comforts of an authentic homestay amidst lush rice paddies. This rural countryside adventure is sure to give you a glimpse into the heart of the Vietnamese way of life that makes the country so special.
Day 1: Hanoi to Mai Chau
- Meet at Vietnam Backpackers Downtown Hostel in Hanoi at 7.30am.
- Depart the hustle and bustle of Hanoi in the morning and head for the unspoiled splendour of Mai Chau Valley.
- Take in the panoramic views before arriving to your authentic homestay and feasting on a home prepared lunch with your new family.
- Spend the afternoon exploring the charm and local culture of the nearby villages on a guided bicycle ride.
- Indulge in a relaxing evening, absorbing rural Vietnam life at the homestay, rich with entertainment and another delicious meal prepared by our lovely homestay, rich with entertainment and another delicious meal prepared by our lovely homestay host Ms. Tan.
Lunch and dinner included. Vegetarian options available.
Day 2: Trek and Homestay
- Load up on breakfast before stopping by a Bamboo factory, and making your way nearby to embark on an awesome trek, through rich forestry, countless rice fields, and beautiful villages.
- Mingle with people from the local Thai minority tribes and make conversation with children who will be ready to greet you with high fives and smiles!
- Grab lunch and stretch your legs before finishing your trek to your homestay for the evening.
- Crack open a few beverages and chill out while enjoying the peace and quiet of your remote surroundings.
Breakfast, lunch and dinner included. Vegetarian options available.
Day 3: Mai Chau to Hanoi
- Enjoy a lovely breakfast, before cooling off and floating along the river on bamboo rafts to round out your final day in the rural countryside.
- Refuel with lunch, and freshen up before we heading back to Hanoi, arriving just in time for our nightly activities and/or onward travel.
Breakfast and lunch included. Vegetarian options available.
- 2 nights accommodation at the homestay.
- All meals as indicated.
- Comfortable transport to and from Mai Chau from Hanoi.
- All activities as per itinerary.
- Awesome local guides.
- Entrance fees.
What’s Not Included?
Where do I meet for the trip?
The trip departs from Vietnam Backpackers’ Hostel Downtown, Hanoi at 7.30 am. You must re-confirm your place on the trip the night before departure at the Travel Desk.
Address: Vietnam Backpackers Downtown Hostel – (9 Pho Ma May Street, Hoan Kiem District) – 6.30 am – Google map here.
What should I bring?
Your passport, comfortable shoes/trainers, swim-stuff, towel, sunscreen, toiletries, raincoat, warm clothes for the cooler months (Nov – March), mosquito repellent, camera, some spending money and a flashlight. Also, bring your appetite and a sense of humour!
How much luggage should I take?
Your vehicle has limited space so please keep your luggage to a maximum of 15kgs in a backpack or soft overnight bag and include a small day pack to hand carry for easy access to camera, sunscreen, water etc. You can leave a larger bag at the hostel if you need to.
What will I eat?
Being in the Vietnamese countryside, it can be difficult to find places to eat that will please everyone, however, our emphasis is on fresh food wherever possible. If you are vegetarian or do not eat seafood we can cater for you, but if you have very specific dietary needs you may need to provide your own food, please discuss this at time of booking.
How fit do I have to be to take part in the activities?
This is an active trip so a reasonable level of fitness and swimming ability is needed. If you enjoy trekking through countryside, swimming in beautiful jungle rivers or being in pristine national parks and directly experiencing the great outdoors, then this trip is perfect for you!
Note: Activities vary in duration and grade depending on the availability.
Do I have to participate in every activity?
Part of the enjoyment of our tours is bonding with a group of like-minded adventurers so we make them active and hands on. Full involvement is normally one of the highlights of the trip but no one will force you to do something you don’t want to do.
What happens if the weather is too bad?
In circumstances beyond the control of Vietnam Backpacker’s Hostels and the associated tour operators, such as weather conditions, mechanical failure and/or restrictions placed by the National Park Authorities, we reserve the right to alter the route or itinerary of any of its tours and arrange alternative carriers to those advertised if necessary. No refunds will be given in these circumstances, or in the event of any delay, curtailment or alteration of the trip. We cannot guarantee pick-up or drop-off times are always the same and are not liable for passenger failure to connect with other services or any associated costs incurred.
LIABILITY FROM VIETNAM BACKPACKERS’ HOSTEL: Passengers should note that adventure travel involves a higher than normal risk. Whilst we make every effort to safeguard our clients and their belongings, we cannot be held responsible for personal injury or loss due to events, which are beyond our control.
South East Asia Backpacker has tried and tested adventures across the region and handpicked a selection of only the BEST companies to work with.
Why we chose Vietnam Backpackers Hostels?
Vietnam Backpacker Hostels are legendary on the Southeast Asian backpacker trail for one reason. They provide so much more than just a bed. The second a backpacker arrives at one of their hostels or signs up for a trip – they become part of a huge family that looks out for one another – meaning that it’s impossible to ever be lonely again!
Their value for money trips are designed for backpackers who are wanting to cram in as many activities and meet as many people as possible. Be prepared for non-stop fun when booking a trip with these guys!
We first met the Aussie owners of the hostel chain, Max and Mick, almost 10 years ago when they only had one hostel in Hanoi. They now have several all across the country and their success is a testament to the fact that they understand backpackers and know how to organise some the best trips in the country! Having been backpackers themselves back in the day, they know what a backpacker wants and how to provide it to them.
With their awesome team, you’ll get to visit exclusive and off the beaten track destinations, hang out with like-minded travellers, enjoy incredible activities and feel safe in the hands of a professional tour operator and Vietnam’s best guides!
All trips offered by Vietnam Backpackers —> Castaways Island Halong Bay Tour | The Buffalo Run | Mai Chau Valley Trip | SUP Monkey Tour.