Updated October 30th, 2017.
Container Hotel located in Kuala Lumpur is an example of a new trend in hotels – using recycled materials and incorporating art and design elements, with a focus on going green in the heart of the city. Their recycled shipping containers house pristine, compact and environmentally sensitive dorms and doubles, all with attached bathrooms.
The concrete pods are some of the most individual rooms you’re likely to find on your South East Asian adventures! The hotel is a short walk from Bukit Bintang station, in the heart of the city and a walkable distance to the iconic Petronas Towers.
Why is Container Hotel: KL, Malaysia on this list?
1. Environmentally conscious – Their environmental credentials are impressive. Recycled building materials, using recycled water in the toilet cistern, energy efficient lighting and moving towards a paperless reception. This is the first container hotel that has been endorsed by the government in Malaysia. If you care about responsible travel, this is the hostel for you!
2. Cool design – This place is not only environmentally conscious but has great design too – from the use of bright orange on the containers, recycled railway tracks in the reception area and (brand new) storm drains to create the pod-like individual rooms. The whole site has been styled by a local artist who painted a graffiti wall and created impressive sculptures in the entrance area including a bright pink tank!
3. Female only dorm – Some girls like their privacy and at Container they have an en-suite girls only dorm.
4. Transport – Taxis in Kuala Lumpur, like anywhere are hard to get a fair price as a tourist. Container have access to trusted taxi drivers who they will contact for metered, reliable service.
5. Attention to detail – Container not only has great style, but some really useful features too, like international plug sockets in every room so you don’t have to worry about an adaptor. Each dorm bed comes with an individual towel rail as well as reading light and locker.
- Address: 1 Jalan Delima, Kuala Lumpur
- Rates: Stylish concrete room from $32 USD / night.
- Check availability on Booking.com.
- Or check rates and availability with Agoda.
South East Asia Backpacker's Chosen Resources!
"These are the companies that we put our trust in during our travels in Southeast Asia. If you're going to book flights, hotels or buy travel insurance, please support our website by using the affiliate links below. That way, we'll receive a small commission - at no extra cost to you!" (Nikki & Dave - SEA Backpacker Editors)