A lovely stay in Penang, Malaysia! Located on a quiet side street, the House of Journey is a small to medium sized hostel with clean, functional dorms and a sleek bar area styled with exposed brick and wood. Here they’re focused on treating guests like friends who want local experiences and relaxed, sociable communal areas. Currently, they only have mixed dorms, named after their favourite cities but are renovating a nearby building to add B&B style private rooms.
Why is House of Journey, Georgetown a Best Hostel?
1. Awesome staff – Rayson & Cheryl, who run the hostel are food mad and know all the best places to eat all over their hometown of Georgetown. Ask for recommendations or tell them which dish you want to try and they will send you in the right direction. In the near future, they also plan to host food tours.
2. Central location – Located only two minutes from Love lane, you’re in the heart of backpacker-land and walking distance from all this UNESCO heritage city has to offer including the world famous street art projects and both the bus and ferry terminals.
3. Tapa! Every night is Tapas night here, with half a dozen options, including paella. The locals come by to eat, too.
4. The writings on the wall – At Journey’s guest leave their mark on the walls. Amongst the jokes and messages of thanks left by happy customers, one scrawled ‘best showers in South East Asia’ hot and powerful, one of the best you’re likely to find in a hostel.
5. Little things – It’s the little touches that make a hostel awesome – there’s a curtain to keep your towel dry in the shower and a hairdryer to use. They can arrange almost everything for you – onward transport and same day laundry service. Every single bed has not one, but four power points so no fighting over the plugs here!
- Prices: From $8 USD / bed in 16-bed mixed dorm. 6-bed dorm = $10 USD. Private rooms from $25 USD.
- Address: 45- 47, Lorong Seck Chuan (off Lebuh Chulia), Georgetown, Penang.
- Phone: 04-262-1399
Join Our Community
Add purpose to your travels.
Do you want to find out about free opportunities to review hostels and experiences, as well as keep up to date with the latest travel news in Southeast Asia & get special offers on trips? Thought so!