Updated October 29th, 2017.
Backpackers travel to Siem Reap to explore the iconic UNESCO World Heritage Site, Angkor Wat. They stay because of The Mad Monkey Hostel. The hostel is located within walking distance of everything you could possibly need in town, including being only a 5-minute stroll to the nighttime debauchery of ‘Pub Street’.
This immensely popular hostel attracts travellers who want to experience the epic social scene at the only rooftop beach bar in town, take a swim in the refreshing pool and admire the unique wall art decorating the buildings. Mad Monkey Hostel has developed a well-earned reputation as the best hostel in Siem Reap for anyone looking to make friends and enjoy the happening party scene in a safe, clean and comfortable environment.
Why is The Mad Monkey Hostel a Best Hostel?
1. Social Responsibility: Mad Monkey Hostels was founded in 2010 with the owner’s vision of supporting the local Khmer population and promoting a high standard of worker’s right. Over 70% of their staff are Cambodian and are offered incredible perks: above minimum-wage pay which increases the longer they stay employed, health care benefits, a mandatory day off every week, 3 months paid maternity leave, free education for staff and their families as well as employment advancement opportunities. This is unheard of in the rest of Cambodia. On top of this, Mad Monkey Hostels support a number of charitable enterprises which operate with zero administration costs such as building clean water wells in rural regions, sustainable education funding and promoting a traditional arts culture. By staying, eating and drinking at Mad Monkey you are directly helping improve the livelihoods of Cambodian families.
2. Great Atmosphere: The mantra, “Come as strangers, leave as friends” must have first been said by a guest of The Mad Monkey Hostel. The incredible social scene around the pool, common areas and in the upstairs bar will ensure you are never lonely if you don’t want to be. Indeed, all you have to do is sit down with a smile on your face and it won’t be long before a friendly traveller will wander over and strike up a conversation with you. Lifelong friendships have been formed inside the hostel, and more than a few relationships. The hardest part of staying in Mad Monkey is trying to decide when you are going to leave. Just ask the huge number of guests who came for one night and never left…
3. Rooftop Beach Bar: Have a look at a map and you will see that Siem Reap is a long way away from the closest beach. Despite this, Mad Monkey Hostels has got you covered with the city’s only rooftop beach bar, the Top Banana! Serving delicious and sustainable locally-farmed food and a huge selection of alcoholic (and non-alcoholic) beverages, the positive and welcoming staff will make you start second guessing whether you want go down to ‘Pub Street’ at all. Want to really kick your night off in spectacular fashion? Ask about the ‘Grenade Challenge’.
4. Activities: The staff at Mad Monkey put on a great selection of organised activities almost every single day. It could be a mountain bike trek to the nearby Angkorian temples or the well-received chef’s market tour. Every night of the week the Top Banana has drink specials and games on to get you in the mood for having an epic night out with your new friends. One that is not to be missed is the infamous all-you-can-drink ‘Cultural Booze Cruise’ out on Tonle Sap, the largest fresh-water lake in South East Asia. Disclaimer: Not for anyone who dislikes fun!
5. The Pool: After a big day of exploring millennia-old temples and walking through humid jungle the best thing to do is head back to The Mad Monkey pool for a refreshing dip. The temperature tends to soar in this part of Cambodia, and when it does guests flock to the poolside beanbags with a cold beer or cocktail in hand. Kick back and while away the afternoon hours with good music, fun times and great friends.
Prices: Dorm beds start at $8 USD a night (12-bed mixed dorm). Private rooms start at $23 USD (standard double private room).
- Address: Siwatha Road, Siem Reap, Cambodia
- Phone: (+855) 063 688 0008
- Website: http://madmonkeyhostels.com/siem-reap
Join Our Community
Add purpose to your travels.
Do you want to find out about free opportunities to review hostels and experiences, as well as keep up to date with the latest travel news in Southeast Asia & get special offers on trips? Thought so!