Updated October 29th, 2017.
With private rooms and suites, as well as traveller dormitory style rooms, the Village House is definitely one for the flashpackers, yet totally affordable! It’s a social place, located in the heart of Mount Santubong National Park, where guests hang out in the beautiful natural surroundings complete with a swimming pool, stunning mountain views, library, TV room, restaurant and aptly named Flying Frog Bar.
Why is the Village House, Santubong, on this list?
1. The variety of accommodation: With their exclusive Rajah Room complete with king-size four poster bed and a private verandah to the excellent dorm-style accommodation, the Village House caters to all budgets. This means that there’s a very interesting mix of travellers here, which creates a very different vibe to the majority of hostels in South East Asia. It’s a refreshing and welcome break to the backpacker trail!
2. Location, location, location: Situated in the heart of the beautiful Mount Suntabong National Park, just an hour away from Sarawak’s capital, Kuching, the Village House feels like you are in a luxury hideaway, nestled in the high limestone mountains in the jungle. It’s a heaven for nature lovers as tropical birds and other exotic creatures emit sounds into the humid night air. Welcome to Borneo!
3. Close to adventure: With the Kuching Wetlands just on your doorstep, as well as numerous hiking trails up the mystical Mount Santubong, there’s plenty to do, if you can drag yourself away from that gorgeous swimming pool that is! Treks or cruises into the Wetlands to view some amazing indigenous wildlife can be organised from the Village House, and for culture vultures, a trip to Sarawak Cultural Village is enjoyable.
4. Great food! At the ‘Taste of Borneo’ Restaurant on the Village House grounds, you can treat yourself to some delicious local delicacies. Work your way through a menu of the country’s best-loved ethnic recipes in a gorgeous setting!
5. Staff: Forget grumpy receptionists who moan if you check out one minute late, at the Village House you’ll feel like a VIP! And isn’t it nice to shed your backpacker labels once in a while and indulge in a little luxury? The Village House is the place to treat yourself!
- Bed in 6-Bed Dormitory Room – From $29 USD.
- Village Twin and Village Double Room – From $78 USD.
- Rajah Suite – From $147 USD.
Join Our Community
Add purpose to your travels.
Do you want to find out about free opportunities to review hostels and experiences, as well as keep up to date with the latest travel news in Southeast Asia & get special offers on trips? Thought so!