Spend a magical night in one of the famous floating bungalows on Cheow Lan Lake in the heart of Khao Sok National Park. Enjoy jungle trekking, kayaking, caving, swimming and long-tail boat trips amongst the amazing limestone cliffs. Wake in the morning to the blissful sounds of nature. This tour includes accommodation, meals, all activities and a local English-speaking guide.
Khao Sok Floating Bungalow Trip Itinerary – 2 Days, 1 Night
- Meet at the office in Ban Ta Khun at 10 am: The best way to reach the office is by taxi. We are happy to arrange a taxi for you from anywhere in Southern Thailand. Please let us know when booking where you would like to be picked up from. (Taxi cost is not included in the price of the trip.)
- Hop aboard your long-tail boat on the beautiful Cheow Lan Lake. You’ll be awe-struck by the incredible scenery on the boat ride to the raft house and floating bungalows – a fairytale landscape that you will never forget!
Arrive at your Raft House. Enjoy a tasty lunch of fresh fish from the lake and delicious vegetables. (Vegetarian options available).
- Go for a hike! Depending on the season, your guide will lead you through the jungle on a memorable trek! You will either visit the spectacular Coral Cave (with its amazing stalagmites and stalactites), climb up to an amazing viewpoint, or visit a sparkling waterfall. Experience one of the oldest rainforests in the world, spot wildlife and get sweaty!
- Boat safari before dinner. After returning to the raft house, go for an afternoon wildlife safari by long-tail boat to explore more of the amazing scenery and karsts. Swimming involved.
- Enjoy a delicious traditional Thai dinner and then spend overnight on the lake in the unique floating bungalows. Fall asleep to the gentle sounds of the forest. An experience like no other.
- After an early morning wake-up (around 6.30 am), you’ll go on a morning mist safari! Head out for a guided kayak trip (or long-tail boat ride) to see langurs leaping from trees and giant orchids in the canopy. Spot giant hornbills, monkeys, and gibbons feeding in the trees before breakfast.
- We head back to the bungalows for breakfast around 8.30 am. After breakfast, you can relax by the bungalows, go kayaking or enjoy swimming in the emerald-green waters.
- Around 12 noon we will check out of the raft house.
- Enjoy a scenic boat ride back to Rachapraba Pier. Along the way, your boat driver will show you some more hidden bays and rock formations that make the lake so special. Arrive at Rachaprabha Dam and take a car back to Khao Sok village.
- Enjoy a Thai lunch in the village or at a viewpoint.
- The tour finishes at Ban Ta Khun Office at 1 pm: From here you can make your own way via public bus/minivan or taxi to your next destination in Thailand. If you would like us to arrange a taxi for you please let us know.
Depending on your budget and your preferences, there are three options for floating bungalow (budget, superior and luxury). Specific raft houses are chosen by the tour guide and are subject to availability and conditions. You can expect the following facilities:
- Backpacker (Budget Option): With the budget option the floating bungalows are very basic. They are not perfectly sealed containers and do not offer private bathrooms. Some are quite small. All are “rustic”, we like to say “charming”. Electricity on-site is limited to certain times. (Example of budget raft houses used on the tour: Krai Son Raft House, Ton Toey Raft House.)
- Flashpacker (Superior Option)* RECOMMENDED: For those of you who appreciate a more comfortable sleeping arrangement, this option is for you! These bungalows sleep 2-3 people and have a fan or AC. Choose this option if you want more comfort without spending too much money. This is by far our most popular package. (Example of superior raft houses used on the tour: The Laguna Chiew Larn Floating Resort, Keeree Warin Chiew Larn Resort.)
- Splashpacker (Luxury Option): Special occasion? Want to treat yourselves? Why not splash out on this once-in-a-lifetime experience and stay at a luxury floating accommodation on Khao Sok Lake? (Example of luxury raft houses used on the tour: Panvaree Resort or Panvaree The Greenery Resort.)
- Accommodation: 1 night in Khao Sok’s famous floating bungalows on Cheow Lan Lake. (Budget, Superior or Luxury options available.)
- Food: Lunch and dinner on day 1. Breakfast and lunch on day 2. Delicious Thai food and some Western favourites. (Vegetarian and vegan food available.)
- English-speaking guide. (All of our guides are locals, who are trained experts in the area.)
- Activities: All activities mentioned in the itinerary – trekking, caving, kayaking etc.
What’s not included?
- Entrance fee to Khao Sok National Park – Must be paid upon entrance to the national park (currently 320 THB).
- Transport to and from the office in Ban Ta Khun. (You can get here by taxi or motorbike. See taxi fares below. Please let us know if you would like us to arrange a taxi for you and where you require pick-up in the additional information box when booking.)
- Alcoholic beverages.
- Breakfast on day 1. Dinner on Day 2.
Taxi Fares to the starting point of the tour (Ban Ta Khun Office)
Please be aware that the tour starts in our office in Ban Ta Khun which is 15 minutes away from the lake. You will need to make your own way to our office to be ready for the start of the tour at 10 am. We are happy to arrange a taxi for you to pick you up from your resort in Khao Sok Village or anywhere else in Southern Thailand. Please see the prices below.
Please let us know where you would like pick up from in the ‘additional information’ box when booking.
- FROM: Khao Sok Village (1 hour) – 1500 THB (1-2 people), 1600 THB (3-10 people)
- FROM: Surat Thani Train Station (1 hour) – 1400 THB (1-2 people), 1600 THB (3-10 people)
- FROM: Surat Thani Airport (1 hour) – 1400 THB (1-2 people), 1600 THB (3-10 people)
- FROM: Surat Thani Town (1 hour) – 1600 THB (1-2 people), 1800 THB (3-10 people)
- From: Surat Thani, Tapee Pier (1.5 hours) – 1900 THB (1-2 people), 2100 THB (3-10 people)
- FROM: Don Sak Pier (2.5 hours) – 2600 THB (1-2 people), 2800 THB (3-10 people)
- FROM: Krabi / Ao Nang (2 hours) – 2400 THB (1-2 people), 2700 THB (3-10 people)
- FROM: Khao Lak (2 hours) –2400 THB (1-2 people), 2700 THB (3-10 people)
- FROM: Phuket Airport (2 hours) – 2900 THB (1-2 people), 2900 THB (3-10 people)
- FROM: Phuket Central: Town, Surin, Bang Rong Pier (2.5 hours) – 3200 THB (1-2 people), 3400 THB (3-10 people)
- FROM: Phuket Southern: Patong, Kata, Karon, Rawai (3 hours) – 3400 THB (1-2 people), 3600 THB (3-10 people)
- FROM: Ranong (Koh Phayam pier) (4 hours) –4600 THB (1-2 people), 4800 THB (3-10 people)
- FROM: Koh Lanta (+100 Baht per pax for ferry ticket) (4 hours) -4400 THB (1-2 people), 4600 THB (3-10 people)
- What is the age range of people on this trip? The tour is specified for people aged 4-75 but most people tend to be aged between 18 and 50. (And, if you are an active 75+ year old then you are more than welcome!)
- Are children allowed? Yes, children under 9 yrs receive a discount of 500 or 700 baht respectively for Bamboo or Superior tours. We will apply this discount after you have made the deposit before we send the confirmation.
- I am a solo traveller, will I stay in a room alone? In the case of single travellers, we usually place them in their own room with a single occupancy charge: (Budget – 600 THB extra. Superior 3,100 THB extra.) This is because people usually prefer to have their own room on the tour.
- What kind of food is served on the tour? The food is local Thai food made with fresh ingredients. Breakfast usually consists of: eggs, rice porridge, toast, sausages, fried rice, noodles. Lunch and dinner usually consists of steamed rice, red / green curry, omelettes, vegetable stir fry, chicken stir fry, local fish.
- Do you cater to vegans and vegetarians? Yes, upon request. Please make a note in the ‘additional information’ box when booking.
- Do you cater to allergies/specific dietary requirements? Yes, upon request. Please make a note in the ‘additional information’ box when booking.
- What should I bring with me on the trip? You should bring: Sun protection – hat, sunscreen, long sleeves, Swimsuit, Plastic bag for clothes and other dry items, Headlamp or torch, Hiking clothes – these will get dirty! Hiking shoes (we recommend tennis/running shoes), Mosquito repellent, Towel.
- I will stay in Ban Ta Khun the night before the trip. Can you recommend any hotels? Many travellers choose to spend one night in the small village of Ban Ta Khun before they embark on the tour the next morning at 10 am. For accommodation in Ban Ta Khun close to the office, we recommend staying at Takhun Mountain View and Belong Jin The Dam Resort.
- Does this tour run in the rainy season? This tour runs all year round. From June to December, (peaking in August/September), there is a higher probability of rain and all that goes with it. Some travellers will love the increased peace and quiet, the probability of coming up close to wildlife and occasionally, the chance to weather a storm whilst floating above a lake in the jungle. Other travellers may struggle with the reduced level of comfort. Travellers, know yourselves!
- What happens if it rains during the tour? Will the trek go ahead? 90% of the time, you will simply wait for the rain to subside. (Even in the rainy season, Thailand’s downpours tend to be heavy and short so the rain usually subsides in an hour or so). Occasionally, you will put on rain gear (provided by Khao Sok Lake Association) and go hiking anyway. Ever-so occasionally the guide will fill the time with a kayak trip or explanations of the local eco system. Most of the time though, the guests opt for free time as the water is quite warm and surroundings are still breathtaking even in the rain.
- I have a special requirement that isn’t covered on this page. If you have any special requirements (dietary, physical, etc.) please include these in the “additional information” box when you place your order.
Payment: To reserve your place on this tour, you need to pay a deposit online with South East Asia Backpacker via credit or debit card. The remaining payment should be made in cash (Thai Baht) at the Khao Sok Lake Office in Ban Ta Khun village. Please be sure to visit an ATM machine before you arrive at the office. Full payment must be made before you depart on the tour.