Itinerary for 4-Day, 3-Night Trip: Lombok to Flores via Komodo National Park
Start: Bangsal Harbour, Lombok Island —> Finish: Labuan Bajo, Flores Island.
Day 1: START: Bangsal Harbour – Lombok Kayangan – Kenawa Island – Sleep Next to Bola Island
MEETING POINT: Taman Sari Resto, Bangsal
- We will pick you up from your hotel in Lombok at 8.30am and gather between 9-10 am at the meeting point of Taman Sari Resto, close to Bangsal Harbour, North Lombok.
- We welcome you with a drink and a little snack, waiting until every guest has arrived and checked in for the adventure!
- We will then drive to the harbour of East Lombok and set sail for Kenawa Island.
- Activities for the day will be snorkelling, swimming and an optional hike up the mountain on Kenawa Island for a breathtaking view of the surrounding area.
- Enjoy the sunset on the boat deck with new friends.
Day 2: Moyo Island
- We rise early for an Indonesian breakfast.
- We will hike together to a beautiful waterfall on Moyo Island where you can climb and dive into the freshwater lake.
- Moyo is quite a large island but it is mostly uninhabited, save for just six local fishing and farming communities that live there. For an island of 349 square kilometres, only 1000 people live there and the island is completely unknown to the vast majority of tourists.
- For the rest of the day we will enjoy the beautiful beaches and clean ocean around Moyo Island. We will spend the day swimming and snorkelling amongst pristine coral reefs and discovering diverse marine life.
- At the end of the day we’ll enjoy dinner and watch the sunset from the boat deck.
Day 3: Komodo Island – Pink Beach – Long Island (Namo)
- We will start our day by grabbing our cameras and setting foot on Komodo Island (Loh Liang). You think that you’ve already seen such amazing things on this trip, but now it’s time for the real highlight of the tour – seeing the Komodo Dragons! We will spend 2-3 hours here on the island trekking to see these incredible creatures.
- After the trek, we will head over to the Pink Beach (so-called because of the beautiful pink sand, which is made up of tiny pieces of ancient coral reef that was formed by millions of years of erosion. It has to be seen to be believed!).
- Pink Beach is the best place to snorkel on the island. Here you will see an amazing coral reef, an abundance of fishes and the beach itself is just really unique and a great place to relax.
- Finally, we will head over to Long Island for more snorkelling and to play some beach games.
Day 4: Padar Island – Rinca Island – Kelor Island – Labuan Bajo (Flores) FINISH TOUR
- In the morning, we will watch the sunrise over beautiful Padar Island.
- At Padar Island, we will set off for another hike to check out the amazing views and rugged landscapes.
- We’ll then hop back on the boat and sail back to Rinca Island (Loh Buaya). here, we will set off again on a trek to spot the Komodo Dragons. On this island, the dragons are even easier to spot as the habitat is smaller than Komodo. The dragons here can also be more aggressive so we will be very careful when we trek. On this island, you will also see many other animals; cattle, buffalo, monkeys, partridge, birds etc.
- After we have finished our trek on Loh Buaya, we will continue our tour to Kelor Island, where we will stop for a swim and a snorkel.
- From Kelor, we will proceed to the town of Labuan Bajo on the island of Flores which is the end of our amazing tour! We will finish the tour around 5.30pm, depending on weather conditions.
Accommodation on the boat
There are two choices of accommodation on this trip.
Please be aware that when you reserve your space on this website, you will automatically be given deck class accommodation. If you would like to request an upgrade to cabin class, you can do so in the ‘additional information’ box when booking.
Deck Class – $205 US
Most backpackers prefer the ‘deck class’ sleeping arrangement. This means that you will sleep on the shared deck with fellow travellers and be given mattress, pillow and blanket. Sleeping under the stars on the boat is basic in terms of comfort, but an unforgettable experience.
Cabin Class – $240 US
Cabins are available if you prefer your own private room (1 room, 2 people). However, availability is limited as there are only 3 cabins per boat. For those who wish to upgrade to cabin class, we recommend that you book at least one month in advance. In the cabin, you are provided with a double mattress, pillow, blanket and towel per person, plus fan.
Boats and Safety
Wanua Adventures travels with 9 big boats that have the capacity for 15 to 45 people. All boats are equipped with lifejackets and lifeboats are installed for your safety in the unlikely event of an emergency. To avoid running into any problems on one of our voyages we avoid sailing during the rainy season, December – March, when the seas can be rough.
Free Pick Up Included
Pick up from the following places in Lombok is included in the price:
- Bangsal Harbour
- Mataram City
Kuta, Lombok – If you are staying in Kuta, Lombok, pick-up will cost an extra 100,000 IDR per person.
Gili Islands – It is possible to arrive from any one of the Gili Islands to Lombok on the day of the tour if you make sure to get the first boat. Please let us know the time your boat will arrive in Bangsal Harbour and we will wait for your arrival.
The pick up is at 8.30 am. If you would like to make your way to the meeting point (Taman Sari Resto in Bangsal) by yourself, please be sure to arrive at 9 am on the day of departure.
To book you must pay a deposit online in $USD. The rest of the payment will be due (in cash only) in Indonesian Rupiah at the Wanua Adventures Office on the day of departure. The price is non negotiable.
Please Read: SEA Backpacker Disclaimer
This is a rugged backpacker adventure NOT a luxury cruise – The facilities on the boat are basic. Depending on what you are looking for, this could be a very exciting adventure or a very uncomfortable experience.
- We do not recommend this trip to families with small children.
- There are many boat companies in Lombok who run this route and none of them are perfect. We have searched around over the past year to find a boat company to do this journey and we believe that Wanua Adventure are one of the best companies. However, there is still a risk with this particular journey from Lombok to Flores as the seas can be rough. For your own personal safety, we recommend that you check the weather forecast before sailing.
DO YOUR RESEARCH: Before booking, please research this route properly, have a look around at the good and bad reviews online and make your own decision about whether you want to do this trip.
- When booking via this website, South East Asia Backpacker is not liable for anything that may happen during the four days that you are sailing.
Please read the Wanua Adventure Trip Advisor reviews carefully here. You can also read our article on the trip here.
- We recommend that you have Travel Insurance before booking this trip.
Tips to enjoy this trip: Take extra snacks, take extra soft drinks, take sea-sickness tablets, take fins for snorkelling.
We receive many enquiries about this trip. Please read the following FAQs before contacting us with a question.
How do I book this trip? To reserve you place, you need to pay a 10% deposit on the South East Asia Backpacker Website. You can pay securely by credit, debit card or Paypal.
When and where do I pay the rest of the payment for this trip? (Lombok to Flores Route) The rest of the balance is due directly to the boat company on the day of departure to the Wanua Adventure staff. The balance must be paid in cash in IDR (Indonesian Rupiah). You cannot pay by card. (Please see below for information about payment, pick up and drop off for the Flores to Lombok Route.)
Is the trip deposit refundable? Normally deposits across our website are refundable if you want to cancel your trip. However, due to the popularity of this trip and the preparations that the boat company have to do in advance for each passenger, deposits for this particular tour are non-refundable to avoid financial damage to the boat company. Of course, if your chosen date is not available, your deposit is fully refundable.
What time is the pick up in Lombok and from which places? Pick up in Lombok is 8.30am from the following places (free): Bangsal Harbour, Senggigi, Mataram and Kuta Lombok. Pick up is included in the price with the exception of pick up from Kuta Lombok, which costs 100,000 IDR per person (due to the further distance to Bangsal).
Where is a good place to stay in Lombok before the tour? You can see several recommended hostels in our Lombok Guide here. To search a range of accommodation, Booking.com is a great website to read traveller’s reviews and book hostels and hotels all over Indonesia. See all accommodation in Lombok here.
I am staying on Gili Trawangan/Gili Air/Gili Meno the night before, can I get to Lombok to make the boat trip in time? In order to make the trip, you will need to take the earliest (7am) boat from the Gili Islands to Bangsal Harbour. The pick up at Bangsal Harbour is at 8.30am. We cannot arrange transport for you from Gili to Bangsal Harbour, this will need to be done at a travel agency in Gili or elsewhere online.
What time will the Lombok boat arrive in Labuan Bajo, Flores? On the final day of your trip, the boat will arrive in Labuan Bajo at 5.30pm, depending on weather. This time is not guaranteed and therefore we do not advise that you book a flight on this same day. We advise that you spend one night in Labuan Bajo and fly the next day.
Where is a good place to stay in Labuan Bajo, Flores? You can see several recommended hostels in our Flores Island Guide here. For a range of accommodation, Booking.com is a great website to read traveller’s reviews and book hostels and hotels all over Indonesia. See all accommodation in Labuan Bajo, Flores here.
Is drop off at my hotel in Labuan Bajo included? The trip ends at Labuan Bajo Harbour and no drop off is included. You will need to make your way to your hotel on Flores by yourself.
How many people are usually on the boat? The maximum capacity of the boat is 45 people. The average number of people on the Lombok to Flores Route is usually around 30. If you think that you would prefer a quieter boat trip with fewer people, you may want to do the route Flores to Lombok, where the average is around 10-15. We would recommend this if you want a more chilled out journey.
Is there a safe place for my valuables on the boat? The boat is equipped with lockers to secure your valuables on the boat.
What should I bring on the trip? Light clothes, swimsuit, towel, sun screen, extra soft drinks, snacks, camera.
Is there a cool box to keep snacks/drinks cool? Yes.
Are there charging points to charge my phone/camera on the boat? Yes, there are solar powered chargers for your electronic devices.
Is the boat equipped with safety equipment? The boat is equipped with life rafts, life jackets for each passenger and lifebuoys in the event of an emergency.
Is snorkelling gear provided? Snorkel mask and snorkel are provided on the boat. There are no fins. If you want to use fins, you must bring your own. This is advisable as the currents can be quite strong in the seas of Komodo National Park.
Do I have to take part in all of the activities during the trip? No, you can pick and choose which activities you would like to take part in, though they are all recommended!
Are there any hidden fees during the boat trip? No. All national park, government and entrance fees are included in the price.
I’ve heard rumours that Komodo Island is closed, is this true? There has been a lot of media panic about Komodo Island closing, but right now there are still no official plans to close. You can read more about the Komodo Island closure in our article here.
Are the seas calm or can it get rough in this area? The weather and seas in Lombok are unpredictable at any time of year and it can get choppy around these particular islands. The boat does not sail at all during the rainy/monsoon season (December to March). However, we recommend that you check the weather forecast before sailing at any time of year as storms are not uncommon.
I get seasick, am I okay to take this trip? Yes, you can definitely still do the trip, however, we do recommend that you get some motion sickness tablets before you board the boat. You can buy these at pharmacies in Lombok before setting sail. (They also have them on board, but it is best to take a supply yourself.)
Will we sleep on land or on the boat during the trip? On the three nights of the trip you will sleep on the boat. The captain will try to anchor in calm spots so that you can sleep as well as possible.
Does the boat travel through the night? During the first two nights you will travel through the night between islands. On the third night, you will anchor near one of the islands.
Does the boat company cater for vegetarians? Yes.
How many toilets are on the boat? Two.
If I do the Lombok to Flores route, how do I get back from Flores to Lombok/Bali after the trip? There are 3 options to get back from Flores: 1) Take a flight from Komodo Airport in Labuan Bajo, Flores to either Bali or Lombok. (Flights are daily). 2) Take the 24-hour ferry from Labuan Bajo to Lombok. 3) Take the 4-day boat trip back the other way!
Is this boat trip for me? We must re-iterate that this is not a luxury boat trip. Facilities are basic and an open mind and sense of adventure is required. This goes for almost all travel in Indonesia (that is not luxury travel). 9/10 people who take the boat trip are extremely happy with Wanua Adventure as a company and have an amazing experience on the boat trip (as you can see in the reviews on this page). However, in this particular part of Indonesia, where the seas can be rough, we cannot say that this trip is 100% safe and we cannot be held responsible in any way for anything that may occur during the boat trip. If you are the kind of person who likes to know in 100% detail what is going to happen during your travels, then we must make clear that this trip may not be right for you. Please read our disclaimer on this page carefully. We also advise that you read carefully through the Wanua Adventure Trip Advisor reviews and decide for yourself if you think this trip is really for you!
The South East Asia Backpacker Community have tried and tested adventures across the region and handpicked a selection of only the BEST companies to work with.
Why we chose Wanua Adventure
Here at South East Asia Backpacker, we have been searching for a long time for a reliable tour operator who runs this trip! It has been more difficult than you would ever believe! With concerns about safety and the quality of the boat, we wanted to make sure that we could recommend a good company to our readers. After a lot of research, we are now confident that we have found a reliable partner in Wanua Adventure.
Established in 1994 by highly experienced boat captain Mr. Kaharudin, Wanua Adventure was created to help travellers explore the amazing uninhabited islands around Lombok and Flores. The company consistently gets excellent 5-star reviews for the 4-day, 3-night Lombok to Flores Trip and they have been recommended to us by fellow bloggers and backpackers. This is not a luxury cruise, but a real rugged sailing adventure amongst some of the most beautiful islands on the planet. We hope that you will have a great time with them!