Where to base yourself in Phuket?The first thing to do, if you’re planning a trip to Phuket, is to figure out which area you want to stay, as each of the areas boasts a very different vibe. Whether you’re a beach bum, a surfer, a party animal, a culture vulture or an Instagram Queen (or King!), there’s a different location for you! Before you dig into the best hostels in Phuket in each area, it’s a good idea to open our Phuket Guide (in a new window) so that you can check out each of the different areas you can stay. Then when you’ve sussed out your area, check out our list below for the best hostels in Phuket Old Town, Patong, Kata and Karon Beach, Bangtao, Kamala and Nai Yang Beach (also home to Phuket’s International Airport).
Ultimate List of the Best Hostels in Phuket
Top 10 Hostels in Phuket TownPhuket Town: Perfect for culture vultures, photographers, artists, coffee lovers, vintage aficionados and music lovers. Read more about Phuket Old Town in our article here.
1. Hugger Hostel – From $9 US / NightStaying at a great location should not cost you a bomb and this hostel is a living proof of that. Centrally located in Phuket Old Town, it takes pride in having all of the things a modern traveller on a budget craves for – a good bed at a competitive cost, authentic Thai food close by, proximity to beaches, swift connectivity and safety. The dorms have super comfy beds with privacy curtains and a locker attached to the bed to store valuables. The hostel sports a chic decor which is super eye-pleasing. You can chomp on complimentary breakfast and hang out with the helpful hosts who can augment your Phuket experience by adding a few of their local hidden gem suggestions! All in all, a great place to stay in Phuket!
2. Book a Bed Poshtel – From $9 US / Night – Best Flashpacker Hostel!There is nothing like a plump bed with clean and crisp linen in rooms accentuated with wooden finish and a minimalist decor. Throw in an outdoor swimming pool with beanbags to lounge on and free bikes to pedal around – what more can you ask for? Book a Bed has a brilliant location which is just 12 minutes away from the nearest beach and 400 meters from the Old Town. Plus, the bus station is just at a walking distance. The rooms come with their own seating areas, air conditioning, ensuite bathroom, a kettle, and a desk and a communal kitchen is available daily where you can rustle up some of your own culinary magic.
3. White Wall Poshtel – From $8 US / NightHaving fun whilst travelling should not only be restricted to the outdoors, right? That is White Wall’s philosophy! With fun games like beer pong, pool, and regular group cooking classes to keep the camaraderie alive, this hostel ensures you kick off all your evenings in good spirit! Equipped with comfy beds and clean bathrooms with complimentary toiletries, Poshtel has chosen to keep the Thai theme alive through its quirky decor and the staff are super friendly too. If you want to walk around and explore the local markets whilst in Phuket, the location of this poshtel is ideal for that too.
4. ChangNoi@Phuket Hostel – Great for Families – From $15 US / NightIf the home is where your heart is, you will definitely find your heart in this hostel. Charmingly constructed rooms with comfortable and clean linen and a bevvy of welcoming staff will give you that warm and fuzzy ‘cared for’ feeling. Sporting a pivotal location, you can sample some sumptuous Asian breakfast here every morning. With free WiFi, a tea/coffee maker in every room and air conditioning, you can enjoy all the comforts of a hotel too. All the dorms have private bathrooms which are fitted with a shower, hairdryer, free toiletries, towels, drying rack for clothes and child safety socket covers. You can even get music, books, and DVDs for children to keep the little nomads busy.
5. Baan Baan Hostel – From $9 US / NightYour hunt for a hostel with the most chilled vibe will end here. The mixed dorms are thoughtfully constructed with a curtained bed for a restive sleep, plug, sidelight, a hanger, a towel, and a locker. The shared bathrooms have rain showers and are kept spotlessly neat & clean. You can enjoy a complimentary breakfast and all-day free tea/coffee (yeah even freshly brewed coffee) and high-speed internet. A small kitchenette is provided with utensils for people who want to do their own cooking. This hostel comes recommended for its proximity to the bus station and the quirky night markets which set up shop on Wednesday, Friday and Sunday nights! If you’re looking for a homely Phuket Old Town Hostel look no further!
6. The Neighbors Hostel – Vintage Style Hostel! – From $8 US / NightCan you imagine staying at a vintage-styled hostel? Well, created in the Peranakan style of old Phuket days, the exterior and interior of the hostel will be your introduction to the warm and quirky Thai design. Located just 200 meters from Old Town, this hostel will be your non-touristy gateway to a completely offbeat side of Phuket. The bars and night markets are close-by so there’s plenty to explore. Plus, the knowledgeable staff are happy and helpful round-the-clock and will give you an experience of the much talked about Thai hospitality. If your sweet tooth is on a rampage, do try out their delectable cakes available in a quaint cafe in the front part of the hostel. Oh, and they do serve a complimentary American breakfast every morning.
7. Vitamin Sea Hostel Phuket – From $11 US / NightLocated in a fabulous spot in downtown Phuket, Vitamin Sea is a cute abode with an adorable sea theme decor. The dorm rooms have a fan and AC, privacy curtains, comfy beds, and shared bathrooms. The property is sprinkled with quirky spaces for socializing and the super friendly and knowledgeable owner, Pro, is happy to help you plan your day to perfection! Yes, she wants and rightfully flaunts the Phuket she loves so much! Getting a local perspective makes your stay and experience so much deeper. Special mentions are the natural light lit bathrooms which add a peaceful and positive vibe to your daily experience. A continental breakfast is on the house and there’s free tea/coffee available whole day. Bananas are kept complimentary for an emergency chow down at any time.
8. Aekkeko Hostel – From $9 US / NightIt’s always something to stay at a place which is curated by a world traveller like yourselves because that guarantees that all your essential needs will be met in style. Here is a hostel which has an incredibly beautiful facade and equally gorgeous and thoughtfully designed interior. Sporting a DIY kitchen and a free laundry machine, the bathrooms are aesthetically pleasing and quite big with free toiletries and a hairdryer to complete the bathing experience! You can also get slippers if you want to wear them indoors, just to make you feel really at home! Mixed dorms have bunk beds with wide ladders to climb, curtains for a private and peaceful sleep and lockers to keep your stuff safe. Also enjoy the garden, terrace and shared lounge where you can meet, greet and swap stories with other travellers!
9. Ai Phuket Hostel – Cheapest Hostel in Phuket! – From $6 US / NightGreat location – check! Helpful staff – check! Stunning exterior – check! Gorgeous interior – check! Clean, safe and convenient – check! All-time connectivity – check! Homey feel – check! Friendly cat – check! This is the kind of hostel where you would love to just keep coming back. Away from the chaos of the Phuket beaches, this place is located in the heart of the Old Town. Equipped with air con and free wifi and a well-stocked kitchenette, this building might have an old world charm but it definitely has all modern world amenities. Want to cool off in style? Hit their hostel bar to chill the heck out in the evening or visit countless other local eateries located nearby. There is also a tour desk available to help you with planning your day and with arranging your transport if required. At $6 US, this is the cheapest of the cheap hostels in Phuket!
10. Phuket Capsule Hostel – From $17 US / NightAn architect brother duo got inspired by the Japanese Capsule concept and created this visual treat nestled amidst the old world charm of the Old Town. With AC, a comfortable bed, fresh covers and a locker to stow away your luggage, Phuket Capsule Hostel is an experience you should have once in your life! All the bathrooms are located on the ground floor and this property also has a “hidden swimming pool” which will make you feel like a VIP! The hostel comes with a communal kitchen and there’s a 7-11 just two doors down so that getting midnight snacks is easy peasy. There is also a social area where you can hang out and connect with other travellers all you want. Their music collection is also cool and the property has a cute husky doggo to give you some pawsome company!
Top 10 Hostels in PatongPatong: Perfect for party animals, shopaholics, beach-goers and those who like to base themselves in the heart of the action! 1. Lub d Phuket Patong Hostel – From $28 US / Night – The Best Hostel in Patong! Up for a hostelgasm? Well, get ready to scream ‘WOW’ when you step through the door of this hostel! Tastefully designed and sporting a see-through swimming pool, an amazing bar, lounge, sun terrace, and restaurant! This hostel also boasts a co-working space, an activity area filled with a games corner, pool table, foosball, air hockey and (wait for this…) a full-blown Muay Thai Boxing ring! The rooms are fitted with comfy bunk beds, air con and safety is guaranteed with card access to the rooms. There is a dedicated activity team who will make sure that you never get bored (well, only if you don’t want to!). Location-wise – pretty sorted too! Close to the beach and slightly away from the hubbub of Bangla market, yet all bars and pubs and restaurants are never far away! Although expensive, this is the best backpacker (or should we say, flashpacker) hostel Patong has to offer!
2. Bodega Phuket Party Hostel – Best Party Hostel in Phuket – From $15 US / NightParty animal alert!! If you are a fun-seeking traveller who’s top priority is socializing then it would be stupid not to base yourself at this party haven. Think of nightly romps like pub crawls, market crawls and days doused with island hopping or booze cruise adventures. What makes this property a kickass joint are the hosts and staff who will ensure that you are introduced to rest of the pack and feel at home boogieing the night away from the moment you arrive! Apart from that, you will get a comfy bed to snooze all that booze away and the best WiFi to brag about your evenings online and make your friends back home burn with jealousy. Also, don’t miss out on the free cocktail shots every evening to kick-start the party!
3. Hip Hostel – From $8 US / NightCreated to please the hipster traveller in you, this hostel sports a trendy and hip look. Although it is located in the middle of the Patong area and is very close to happening places like the Bangla market, it is favoured for its peaceful environment. You get dorm rooms here, a few of which have a lovely attached balcony. All the rooms are fitted with air conditioning and have shared baths which are exceptionally clean. They provide free WiFi to keep your digital life rocking. With genuinely concerned and helpful hosts, this is a value for money property and is a perfect choice for the backpacker.
4. Fun Hostel Phuket – From $18 US / NightThe thing which may bother us backpackers is the daily costs of transport we have to bear if we stay away from must-see locations or when the happening places are an expensive tuk-tuk ride away. So, why not stay right in the heart of all the action – bang in the middle of Patong with the beach just a walk away and the throbbing Bangla market located nearby. At Fun Hostel, you get AC in all the dorms, attached bathroom and a daily maid service, because their mantra is to keep the place spotlessly clean. Bathrooms also come with free toiletries and some rooms have attached balcony. They give a complimentary breakfast every day for the guests.
5. Paradise Beach Backpackers – Best Phuket Beach Hostel – From $9 US / NightLet me get this straight right at the beginning – this backpacker’s hostel has a freaking private beach with all-time sea access and a private cliff view for those gorgeous island sunsets! Stay at this place and your Instagram feed will be full of stunning pictures. Quaint weathered wood ways leading to your dorm rooms, a beach bar, sunbeds and umbrellas, pristine blue water, restaurants with the international, Italian and Thai cuisine, activities like paddleboarding, snorkelling and diving and those relaxing massages – what more can you ask from your beach holiday? Located away from the hustle bustle of Patong, but you can very well enjoy the lively party nights in the centre because this hostel provides free shuttle till late in the night. They also have their own Full Moon Party! (Koh Phangan eat your heart out!)
6. #ME Hostel – Best Value For Money Phuket Budget Hostel – From $6 US / NightCraving for a homely feel while on road? Then you should definitely come here. The host is so great that he will make you feel at ease right from day one. Isn’t it great to find a friendly face you can trust whilst on the road? With a chilled vibe, this hostel is located in a serene location quite close to both the beach and Bangla market. All the dorms are huge and are fitted with AC and have a private bathroom. It might get congested sometimes for 8 people sharing a room to access the toilet at the same time but it does have a hot shower and everything is well maintained. All the rooms have free WiFi so you can keep up your digital nomad life if you want to. This hostel does not provide any breakfast (at $6 US who cares?) but has a lively bar where you can pop a few beers and catch up with new pals!
7. BearPacker Patong Hostel – $14 US / NightOh! What a weary traveller wouldn’t give for a soak in a terrace swimming pool after a travel-heavy day? And if it comes with a breathtaking view, then the satisfaction is manifold. Located very close to Patong beach, this hostel has a modern feel with spacious rooms and a nice decor. You can stow away your luggage before or after check-in at no extra cost! And, if you are checking in early, catch a few winks in their sleeping chairs in the TV room. Their common area is very cute and the rooms are AC and nice and cool after all that daytime heat. The kitchenette is available for you to cook something if you are up for it. Dorms are equipped with a personal locker, free towel and free high-speed internet.
8. G & M Hostel – From $15 US / NightPocket-friendly and premium location doesn’t go hand in hand, or so you thought. G & M Hostel is an exception. Located near to the beach, opposite Bangla Walking Market and close to the Muay Thai Boxing arena, as well as scores of bars and pubs and diving centres, this hostel is perfect for those wanting to fit in as many experiences as possible in a short time period. This is a quintessential chill-pill backpackers’ lair and the staff are super friendly to boot.
9. Patong Backpacker Hostel – From $9 US / NightIt is a hostel. Period. No frills attached. You want a good location just a step away from the beach – stay here. Comfortable bunk beds with clean linen and a keen eye of bathroom maintenance assure you a restful stay. It does not have the boom-boom party vibe but bars and pubs are quite close-by so you are never away from the Patong-parties anyways. There is free WiFi in the reading area and a TV to catch up on some movies. If you are looking for a hostel with personality – this place is not it. But you can always hang out with fellow backpackers and bond in the peaceful atmosphere.
10. BGW Phuket – From $8 US / NightNewly decorated in bright and friendly colours, this hostel promotes itself as a super friendly, trendy and convenient place to stay. Expect a delicious welcome drink of butterfly flower tea the moment you arrive which sets the tone for your visit right from the start. Being a brand new property, everything is spotlessly clean and the boss (originally from Taiwan) will go out of his way to help you get the most out of your stay in Phuket. Perfectly located in-between the beach and the shopping mall this hostel is a great budget place to stay for flashpackers looking for a laid-back beach holiday!
4 Best Hostels Near Phuket Airport – Nai Yang BeachNai Yang Beach: Perfect for those who need to catch an early flight at Phuket Airport or those looking for an alternative local scene away from Phuket’s tourist traps.
1. Hubb Hostel Phuket Airport – From $17 US / NightThe awesome thing about the Hubb is that they provide a free transfer to and from the airport which is located just a kilometre (5 minutes) away. The hostel is cute to boot with its pod-style dorm beds, fitted with a little workstation as well as a privacy curtain. Super clean and well maintained throughout the day, they even provide light breakfast as a complimentary service. Located just 10 minutes walk from Nai Yang beach, there is also a 7-11 across the road which is very convenient. Not only recommended for a stopover for your early morning flight but spend a few more days here and you might just fall in love with the hostel and the low-key area.
2. The Luna – From $17 US / NightDone up in a tastefully artsy decor with beautifully tiled bathrooms which are kept spotlessly clean throughout the day, this hostel will steal any backpacker’s heart. Every bunk bed is thoughtfully put together with hanging wall art and vintage hooks, apart from the usual international socket, reading light and a curtain to give you privacy. They have free bike rentals, so you can pedal away to the nearby beach (10 mins away). Breakfast is complimentary and you can drink tea/coffee free throughout the day. Every room comes with a seating area that is quite big in size. Shared bathrooms are on every floor. You can find a restaurant on the property which has decent food and the front desk is manned 24 hrs with an ATM is also present in the property. There is a small kitchenette and free utensils for the guests to cook by themselves if they wish.
3. Take a Break @ Naiyang Beach – From $30 US / NightOur main concern with accommodation near the airport is (of course besides proximity and connectivity) whether the stay will carry the spirit of the destination. Take a Break is a little four-bed dorm hostel situated about a five-minute walk from Naiyang Beach. Away from the hustle bustle and partying madness of Phuket, this area has a much more local feel to it. The hosts are super helpful and the facilities are modest but satisfying, with comfortable bunk beds, attached bathroom, a fridge in the room and a microwave. Free tea coffee and toast jam are available throughout the day at no additional cost. They also do complimentary pickup/drop to and from the airport. This is a very tiny property but is also a very tidy property!
4. Sleepwell@Naiyang – From $24 US / NightSituated a two-minute bike ride to the beach, this property is applauded for its cleanliness and comfort. It is less of a dorm-y hostel and more of a hotel with standard king room and standard twin room available for the guests. There is free WiFi and all rooms come equipped with flatscreen TV, cable connection and private bathrooms. From a few rooms you can even catch a glimpse of the surrounding mountains and there are attached balconies in some of the rooms too. Inside the room, you will get a desk, mini fridge, and a kettle. The airport is just 2 km away from the hostel.
4 Best Hostels at Kata BeachKata Beach: Perfect for laid-back backpackers, surfers and digital nomads.
1. Fin Hostel Co-Working – Best Phuket Digital Nomad Hostel – From $10 US / NightSurfers alert! Painted in peppy colours with plenty of surfboards propped up to accentuate the beach(y) theme, these hostel dorm beds have oh-so-cute tent flaps as privacy curtains. Situated in an epic location, the hostel has very friendly staff, super fast WiFi internet, great hot showers, and clean and comfy beds. Sleeping like a baby is guaranteed! Also, unlike other hostels, here you can take advantage of their airport shuttle service and save on your taxi fare. This is pretty handy especially if you are a solo traveller and don’t want to shell out a lot of dough for reaching the airport. Armed with a super cute terrace pool and a garden area, there are interesting spots peppered around where you can catch up with others.
2. One More Wave Kata Beach Hostel and Surf School – Best Phuket Surf Hostel – From $10 US / NightSporting a beautiful exterior, the interior is equally welcoming with its bright hues and modern aesthetics which is very visually pleasing. Their complimentary DIY breakfast comes highly recommended and is filling enough to keep you charged up for a day full of activity. All the local must visits are located nearby with the beach being just six minutes walk away. The water pressure in the bathroom is excellent and you will also get free toiletries in the shared bathrooms as well. Bottled water and all day tea/coffee come included in the tariff. The kitchen is located on the second floor and you can cook whatever you want there. This is a perfect place to surf by day and chill by night! Did I mention that you can also take surfing lessons with the owners?
3. Kata Bai D – From $40 US / Night (Private Room)You know that a hostel is incomplete without an affable host right? Well, if you comb through the scores of excellent traveller reviews of Kata Bai Inn, you will come to understand why people are repeat customers here. Yes, it is for the loving host of this hostel, Mr. Sam. He assures that when you stay in the hostel, you get the very best service. And when you venture out, you make the most of the day. This is how he shares his love for Thailand with all the travellers! Of course, this place has the usual of highspeed WiFi and a clean and spotless room with air con. But the owner really does make you feel like part of his own family. And the cherries on top are the free buffet breakfast, towels, and umbrellas on loan, TV, safe in the room and daily cleaning.
4. Sino Hostel @Kata – From $9 US / NightLocated smack bang in the middle of three beaches, this little tranquil hideaway is best suited to backpackers on a budget. The rooms are big with comfy beds, clean bed sheets, AC and free WiFi. The shared bathrooms have restrooms and showers in the same stall but the bathrooms are big and there is never a queue. Besides the proximity to the beaches, there are tonnes of other places like pubs, restaurants and night markets to explore just a stone’s throw away. They have a kitchen facility that you can use and a next door 7-11 to buy your stuff from. Some rooms have balconies too which can be a good spot to chill with your roomies.
Best Hostels at Karon BeachKaron Beach: Perfect for flashpackers, sun worshippers and beach bums! Read more about Karon Beach in our Phuket Travel Guide.
1. Doolay Beachfront Hostel – From $12 US / NightThe common area of this hostel with a lovely balcony attached gives you a feeling that you are at someone’s house and the party is just waiting to be started! The vibe is so chill and the location is far away from the maddening city crowd. The dorms are available in both mixed and ladies only and come with a shared bathroom and balconies with sea view. The beds are cute, comfy and clean and have a small shelf, sockets and reading light. The property has a bar and restaurant which serves food and beverages at a backpacker’s pocket-friendly price. This place also serves a free continental breakfast and is just 800 metres from Kata Beach.
2. Karon Living Room – From $14 US / NightStaying close to the beach may pose problems sometimes, with hawkers screaming your ears off and the growing crowd and its cacophony! But sometimes we do want to stay at a place near our favourite beach yet avoid all this rubbish, don’t we? The stylish Karon Living Room Hostel will come to your rescue! A quiet place tucked away just seven minutes walk from Karon Beach, this place is calmness personified. The bunk beds have privacy and there is a safety locker for every occupant. The hostel is marked very high on cleanliness and comfort. Breakfast is included in the room tariff and there is a fridge to store your own grub as well. There is an on-site restaurant available if you need some chowtime.
Best Hostel in Bang Tao Beach + Kamala BeachBang Tao Beach and Kamala Beach: Perfect for those looking for a chilled out beach holiday away from the tourist tack of Patong.
Chillhub Phuket (Bang Tao Beach) – From $15 US / NightTwo things will strike you instantly if you book this hostel – its industrial yet warm homely decor and the large green outdoor social space. Located just two minutes from Bangtao Beach, this hostel is for backpackers or digital nomads looking to chill. It is so not a party packers hostel! Here you can expect to lounge on the hammock reading books, soak in the outdoor pool and chat up with your fellow travellers or catch up on some sleep in their comfy beds. All the bunks are equipped with lights and sockets and all rooms have a little terrace/patio to enjoy some fresh breeze. Breakfast is included though the option is not that wide. There is absolute attention to detail paid to cleanliness and even the swimming pool is cleaned daily to keep everything spic and span.
Baan Kamala Backpacker (Kamala Beach) – From $9 US / NightThe boat-shaped lounge area will certainly make you flip out your phone for some quick Instagramming. And then later you can feel more welcomed by their friendly staff that will take care of you as if you are one of their own. The dorms are pretty basic but extremely neat and clean with fans and no air con. The hostel has its own restaurant which cooks up some pretty fantastic Thai food and offers cold beverages as well. It is a great value for money place which is located near to Kamal Beach. Tell us your favourite Phuket hostel in the comments below!
Header Photo Credit: The Neighbors Hostel.
South East Asia Backpacker Newsletter
Keep up to date with the latest travel news. Be the first on the plane when travel opens up.