Updated November 18th, 2017.
We’ve quelled your 7 unnecessary but common travel worries that stop you going backpacking but something is still holding you back from booking your trip – you need inspiration! So, just for those of us who still need a gentle nudge to take the leap, we’ve compiled 20 of the very best inspirational travel quotes of all time in the hope that one of them will resonate enough with you to kick-start the journey of your dreams…
1. “The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.”
2. “To awaken quite alone in a strange town is one of the pleasantest sensations in the world.”
3. “I am not the same having seen the moon shine on the other side of the world.”
(Mary Anne Radmacher Hershey)
4. “Through travel I first became aware of the outside world; it was through travel that I found my own introspective way into becoming a part of it.”
5. “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”
6. “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one’s lifetime.”
7. “To get away from one’s working environment is, in a sense, to get away from one’s self; and this is often the chief advantage of travel and change.”
(Charles Horton Cooley)
8. “Most of my treasured memories of travel are recollections of sitting.”
(Robert Thomas Allen)
9.”Travel is more than the seeing of sights; it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living.”
10. “Don’t tell me how educated you are, tell me how much you travelled.”
11. “Perhaps travel cannot prevent bigotry, but by demonstrating that all peoples cry, laugh, eat, worry, and die, it can introduce the idea that if we try and understand each other, we may even become friends.”
12. “Journeys end in lovers meeting.”
13. “We must go beyond textbooks, go out into the bypaths and untrodden depths of the wilderness and travel and explore and tell the world the glories of our journey.”
(John Hope Franklin)
14. “What you’ve done becomes the judge of what you’re going to do – especially in other people’s minds. When you’re travelling, you are what you are right there and then. People don’t have your past to hold against you. No yesterdays on the road.”
(William Least Heat Moon)
15. “A ship in harbour is safe, but that is not what ships are built for.”
(John A. Shedd)
16. “To my mind, the greatest reward and luxury of travel is to be able to experience everyday things as if for the first time, to be in a position in which almost nothing is so familiar it is taken for granted.”
17. “Travel has a way of stretching the mind. The stretch comes not from travel’s immediate rewards, the inevitable myriad new sights, smells and sounds, but with experiencing firsthand how others do differently what we believed to be the right and only way.”
18. “Without travel, I would have wound up a little ignorant white Southern female, which was not my idea of a good life.”
19. “People who don’t travel cannot have a global view; all they see is what’s in front of them. Those people cannot accept new things because all they know is where they live.”
20. “Your time is limited, so don’t waste it living someone else’s life. Don’t be trapped by dogma – which is living with the results of other people’s thinking. Don’t let the noise of other’s opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.”
If you’ve got a favourite quote that inspired you to travel, we’d love to hear it, maybe it’ll inspire someone else – please share it with us below!
Join Our Community
Add purpose to your travels.
Do you want to find out about free opportunities to review hostels and experiences, as well as keep up to date with the latest travel news in Southeast Asia & get special offers on trips? Thought so!