Why Visit Siem Reap?Located in the northwest of Cambodia, Siem Reap is referred to as the gateway to one of the most mystical and cultural parts of the world, name Angkor, which was the seat of the Khmer Kingdom for six centuries. Here you’ll find famous Angkor Wat, one of the most photographed temples in the world. Of course, Siem Reap is also a resort town, so it offers plenty of fun and frolics, with a side order of history (dating back to as far as the year 802)! Rather surprisingly, Siem Reap also offers a large amount of nightlife too and is a common party stop on the Banana Pancake Trail of Southeast Asia.
The Good News: Hostels in Siem Reap are super cheap!Cambodia has seen a true tourism boom over the last few years, and nowadays, more than one million tourists visit Siem Reap every year. That makes it the fastest growing place in the country outside of the capital. The good news is that this boom has pushed more accommodation options to open across the city, and you will now find countless high quality hostels, which are extremely low in price (READ: FROM $3 US PER NIGHT!), even compared with other cheap countries in Southeast Asia. Of course, as well as being dirt cheap, you’ll want to be sure that where you are staying is clean, central, and has the facilities you need. To help you identify the best places to stay if you’re thinking of heading over to Siem Reap, we’ve reviewed some of the best hostels around!
Top 20 Best Hostels in Siem Reap, Cambodia – Voted By Readers!
1. Lub d Cambodia Siem Reap Hostel – Dorm beds rom $7 US per nightThis hostel chain has branches in Bangkok, Koh Samui, Phuket in Thailand and Manila in the Philippines. Their Siem Reap hostel is the latest one to open and one thing’s for sure – Lub d sure know how to create an amazing setting with everything a traveller could need! A plus point is that this hostel is ideal for digital nomads, as it has an on site co-working space, as well as an outdoor swimming pool, restaurant, and poolside bar. You are literally a few minutes’ on foot from Pub Street, as well as the Old Market for some cultural sightseeing and experiences. Staff are always helpful and on hand to give any advice you might need. They also provide a series of excellent eco-friendly and culturally sensitive tours through their sister company, Adventure Travel Co.
2. One Stop Hostel – Dorm beds rom $5 US per nightOne Stop Hostel will have you right in the heart of the action, as it is located just off Pub Street. This is a lively hostel, and a great place to meet other travellers. There is a rooftop bar, where you can chill out and check out the view, and a shared TV lounge, so more opportunities to mingle. Everyone is given an individual locker for safety and rooms are in mixed dorm rooms. Overall, One Stop Hostels is a great budget choice, with a fantastic location, and is the perfect choice of hostel for those who want to be super-social.
3. Funky Flashpacker Hostel – Dorm beds rom $6 US per nightAs the name would suggest, there is nothing dull about this hostel! Unashamedly a ‘party hostel’, you’re not likely to get the best night’s sleep, but you will have a great time and meet lots of new people. There are private and dorm rooms on offer, and the outdoor swimming pool is a bonus. The on site restaurant is good quality and offers international and local dishes, and there is also an ATM machine on site too, which is alway useful! The hostel is about half a kilometre away from Pub Street, and most previous visitors have ended up going back again. The rooftop bar or swimming pool is often where the nearest party is at, so if you want a fun-filled break this is the hostel for you. The atmosphere is sociable and fun, so if that’s the kind of break you’re after, this is a great choice!
Best Hostel in Siem Reap for Solo Travellers…
4. Onederz Hostel – Dorm beds rom $7 US per nightThis particular hostel is ideal for those who want to enjoy Siam Reap’s nightlife, as it is just 350 metres from Pub Street. There are two swimming pools on site, as well as one on the roof, for amazing views, especially of the sunset. The restaurant is also popular and many guests decide to stay in and eat, rather than head out, such is the quality. You can choose between private and dorm rooms, with all the usual facilities for each guest. This hostel is quite a chilled out choice, and although it is quite close to the heart of the action, the feel of the hostel itself is quite peaceful. That makes it ideal for relaxing at the end of a day sightseeing, or recovering from the night before! Tuk tuks are also right outside the hotel, ready to take you wherever you please.
The Best Party Hostel in Siem Reap…
5. Mad Monkey Siem Reap – Dorm beds from $6 US per nightFamous for its party atmosphere, if you want a good time, head to Mad Monkey! On the flip-side, if you want to chill out, perhaps not the best choice for you. Many guests report not being able to sleep so well, because of the noise in the corridors, so it’s important to know what you’re booking ahead of time. Facility-wise, hostel has everything you will need, such as an outdoor pool, games, and good food, as well as a very sociable rooftop bar. This hostel is a budget option, for those who want a partying good time.
6. Pool Party Hostel – Dorm beds from $3 US per nightFriendly staff, a bright, colourful atmosphere and super cheap bunks, what more could you want? Pool Party Hostel has, as the name would suggest, many a pool party, so if you’re someone who wants to have fun and meet people, this is a great choice. The outdoor pool is the place to be, but there is also an on site restaurant serving delicious meals too. Pub Street is less than a mile away, and there are free tuk tuk rides into town, put on by the hotel itself, however you will need to pay for the return journey, which is something to bear in mind. You can choose between private or dorm rooms, however most guests agree that the dorm rooms are high quality and worth opting for to save costs.
7. Central Hostel – Dorm beds from $3 US per nightThe name really sums this hostel up – central. Just a few minutes’ walk away from the street food and night market, and the same distance to Pub Street, you can be anywhere you like on foot, within minutes. If you don’t want to venture out for food, the on site restaurant serves fresh khmer and international dishes, and the price is low, which most people found useful! Rooms are large, however the bathroom is sometimes mentioned as not being the cleanest – what do you expect for $3 US per night!? Hot water is sometimes up and down, but during the warmer months this isn’t so much of an issue. You can of course choose between dorm rooms and private rooms, however the dorm rooms only sleep a maximum of 6 people, so they’re not too crowded.
8. Kafu Hostel & Pool – Dorm beds from $3 US per nightFor a relaxing, friendly place to stay on a budget, this is a great choice. The terrace is the perfect place to chill out in the sun, and the outdoor pool makes cooling down easy. The on site restaurant is renowned for quality, and there are many sports facilities on site, as well as games, like billiards. Breakfast is either asian, continental or American, so everyone is catered for! The hostel is just a few minutes’ away from Pub Street, and if you need to know anything about how to get from place to pace, the reception is open 24 hours, with friendly helpful staff. Most users all state they would definitely go back again, with very few negative comments!
The Best Hostel in Siem Reap Near Pub Street…
9. Siem Reap Pub Hostel – Dorm beds from $3 US per nightIf you want to be as close to Pub Street as it is possible to get, this is the hostel for you! The outdoor swimming pool is ideal for chilling during the day, and most guests mention how clean the outdoor area is kept. The outdoor bar is also a great way to meet new people, with friendly bar staff who are happy to tell you about the local sights and here to go. Rooms are basic but comfortable, with everything you could need. You can opt for a private room or dorms, and some rooms have great views over the city. This is the ideal hostel for those who want to explore, and don’t want to be too far away from anything.
10. The Hideout – Dorm beds from $5 US per nightThis hostel is perfect for those who want a little bit of everything; you’re close to the action, but the side street location is perfect for rest and relaxation too. Most guests love the feel of the place, which is totally chilled out, and ideal for meeting new people in the bar area. Drinks within the bar are also continuously commented upon as strong and cheap! The on site restaurant is also for all food tastes, serving Vegetarian, Asian, and English/Irish breakfast choices. The hostel offers dorm rooms but also private rooms, which most people rate the best around for size and comfort.
11. White Rabbit Hostel – Dorm beds from $6 US per nightWhite Rabbit Hostel offers a fun-filled experience, with super-friendly staff who are on hand for anything you need, always with a smile. Most guests comment upon their energy and helpful nature! The hostel’s decor is clean and bright, with white and silver for an upmarket feel. The swimming pool is also large and has a lounge area all around it. The hostel is themed, for extra fun, and you’re just 10 minutes on foot from Pub Street if you want to venture out. The bar on site however is often a hotspot, and the restaurant too.
12. Happy Hippies Hostel – Dorm beds from $3 US per nightHappy Hippies Hostel is ideal for those who want to be close to the action, but want to feel like they are in the heart of nature too. Located in green gardens, with traditional plants located all over the grounds, this hostel is run by a local family, and most guests comment on how friendly and helpful they are. Pub Street is around 15 minutes away on foot, and the shared lounge and bar is a great place to meet other people. The restaurant offers an a la carte option, for something different, and the dinner menu offers international dishes for all tastes. Around the hostel there are great opportunities for walking and cycling; the reception staff will help you with bicycle hire on site.
13. Oops Hostel – Dorm beds from $4 US per nightLocated very centrally, most guests agree that the location couldn’t be better, at just a few minutes’ on foot from Pub Street. The reception staff will be only too happy to show you the places to go around the area, and advise you how to get there. There is a free shuttle service offered by the hostel, and a ticket buying desk to make life easier too. The on site bar and restaurant are ideal for chilling and meet people, with local and international choices. The only downside is that most guests stated that the bathroom was always in demand, and that there weren’t enough bathroom facilities when the hostel was full to capacity. Oops!
The Cheapest Hostel in Siem Reap…14. YOLO Hostel – Dorm beds from $2 US per night Extremely well priced and popular, YOLO Hostel, at $2 US per night, is the cheapest hostel on our list! YOLO is located around one kilometre from Pub Street where all the action goes down. It’s a bit out of town, but if you don’t mind walking, why not take advantage of the cheap price and lovely swimming pool, complete with volleyball net! The on-site restaurant offers many different dishes for you to try, and most guests comment on how great the food is, as well as the low cost. Dorm rooms and private rooms are large and the beds are nice and wide.
15. Sleep Pod Hostel – Dorm beds from $5 US per nightFunky, modern, and full of clean lines, the Sleep Pod Hostel is an upmarket choice, with a low cost. The hotel has water sports facilities on site, an outdoor swimming pool and a large garden for chilling in the sun. As the name would suggest, rooms feature sleeping pods, as well as private rooms with large double beds. Most guests mention how comfortable the sleeping arrangements are, so if you’re looking for somewhere you can rest properly, this is a great option. Staff are on hand to help you no matter what the time of day, and the bar is a great place to sit and watch the world go by, meeting other travellers.
16. 1953 Siem Reap Hostel – Dorm beds from $16 US per nightThe classy (and more expensive) choice, with a large swimming pool, surrounded by natural plants, this hostel is a centrally located option, with extra sophistication for the flashpackers amongst you. There are dorm rooms from $16 US per night and privates from $20 US per night, so this is a great option for couples or families. The on site restaurant serves delicious food, with a large breakfast to start the day too. All rooms have a patio, so you have extra space to roam and check out the view. There is also a business centre on site, which is ideal for those digital nomads who need to work whilst travelling! The owner is very kind and helpful, and this hostel overall seems more upmarket than your average backpacker digs. Around 5 minutes’ walk away from Pub Street.
17. Adventure Hostel Siem Reap – Privates from $14 US per nightAdventure Hostel is close to everything and you can use bicycles for free from the hostel which is a really nice touch! The on site business centre also makes it easy for those who need to work to get what they need to do done, and ideal for digital nomads and freelancers travelling around this part of the world – the WIFI is also uper fast which is a bonus for Cambodia! You can choose between a private or dorm room, and some have terraces, for extra space and fresh air. The on site bar is a hotspot for meeting new people. The only downside is the masonry shop which is located behind the hostel, and is sometimes a little noisy.
19. Boutique Dormitory Kochi-ke – Dorm beds from $5 US per nightA fantastic, chilled out place to stay, with a clean decor, this hostel is a great choice. Just a few metres from Pub Street and the Angkor Night Market, the reception area are renowned for being super-helpful, and helping guests get around the area and explore. Dorm rooms are large and offer everything you could need, including your own plug socket, reading light, curtain, and safe. Water is always hot and bedding is changed daily, as well as fresh towels for everyone. For a sociable place to stay, which is great in price and clean and comfortable, this is a fantastic choice!
20. HI Siem Reap Deluxe – Dorm beds from $6 US per nightIf you’re looking for a sociable place to stay, which is still quiet enough for you to get a great night’s sleep, this is a fantastic option to go for. The rooftop swimming pool gives you fantastic views, but it’s also a wonderful place to meet other travellers. The restaurant also serves delicious food all day long, and the bar serves cheap drinks. What more could you need? The front desk are on hand for anything you need, as well as arranging tuk tuks to take you around the local area. Most guests also commented on how clean the hostel was.
Best Hostel in Siem Reap for Families…
21. Bambu Stay – Privates from $15 US per nightAround a mile away from the noise of Pub Street, you can relax in chilled out surrounding at Bambu Stay. You are also only around 5 miles away from Angkor Wat, so ideal for those who like culture and history to be at the centre of their visit. Rooms are large, which is a common theme amongst visitors’ comments, and the staff on the reception area are as helpful as it is possible to be. The on site restaurant is also a great choice for evening meals and there is a local cafe/restaurant close by which serves high quality breakfasts. The bar is well stocked and offers low cost drinks too! This is a great choice for couples and families wanting to avoid the backpacker party scene.
The Best Hostel for Couples in Siem Reap…
22. Garden Village Guesthouse & Pool Bar – Dorm beds from $3 US per night
This hostel could easily be a hotel, it’s so upmarket – and ridiculously cheap! Most visitors comment on how clean and sophisticated the surroundings are, so you’re getting quality for your cash. The decor is natural and organic, and the garden area is large and well-kept. Staff are super-helpful and happy to help you with anything you need.
If you want a delicious meal for a low cost, the on site restaurant will give you what you need, and you can run some of this calories off by playing football or one of the other available sports outside. The natural setting is really what sells this hostel, with an outdoor feel, including regular group barbecues. All of this and you’re just 550m away from Pub Street! Private (singles) from $9 US per night.
23. Snooze Capsule – Dorm beds from $18 US per nightOffering everything you need, the Snooze Capsule is a popular choice for how who want to base themselves close to Pub Street and enjoy the social feel of a hostel in general. The on site bar and restaurant is a lively spot, offering a range of different meals for great prices, and you’re also literally two minutes away from Pub Street on foot. If you want a shuttle pick up from or to the airport, the hostel can also arrange that for you. Most guests were more than satisfied with this hostel, however cleanliness and the quality of breakfast were two sticking points which could be improved slightly.
24. The Siem Reap Chilled Backpacker – Dorm beds from $3 US per nightFor a bright, colourful, and modern hostel choice, the Siem Reap Chilled Backpacker is a great one. You are around ten minutes on foot by Pub Street and the Old Market, and you can opt for an airport pick up or drop off too, to help matters. You can choose between 25 private rooms, or you can head towards one of the 60 dorm room beds. Every room has a fridge, cable TV and a writing desk too. You can also get free bottled water on demand, as a nice added extra. Staff are helpful and can easily arrange for you to go on many different tours around the area.
25. Joyohostel – Dorm beds from $5 US per nightSuper clean and stylish – that sums up Joyohostel. The hostel has a very homely feel and is modern in decor too. Located in Taphul Village, you are close enough to Pub Street to visit, but far enough away to relax. There are many bars and restaurants within walking distance, and the shared lounge and bar on site are ideal for chilling and meeting new people. The staff on the reception desk are helpful for anything you need to ask, and will be able to set up tours for you if you want to explore the area further. This is the ideal hostel choice for those who don’t want to be right in the heart of the noise and are looking for a laid-back experience in Siem Reap! And that completes our list of the best backpacker hostels in Siem Reap! Did you stay at any of the hostels above? What did you think? Do you have any more hostel recommendations to add to our list? Still not found what you’re looking for? Check out more hostels in Siem Reap on Booking.com. See here for more info on backpacking Cambodia.
South East Asia Backpacker Newsletter
Keep up to date with the latest travel news. Be the first on the plane when travel opens up.