A trip to Castaways Island in Halong Bay is THE Bucket List, Must-Do Activity in Vietnam – just ask backpackers on the trail in Southeast Asia! The adventure departs every day of the week from Hanoi so just choose your date and get ready for the experience of a lifetime…
Castaways Island, Halong Bay Trip – 3 Day, 2 Night Itinerary
Day 1 – Depart Hanoi for Castaways Island, Halong Bay
- Meet your crew bright and early at one of the two Vietnam Backpackers Hostels in Hanoi.
- Travel to Halong Bay by minibus and then hop on a traditional Vietnamese sail boat to take you to Castaways Island. As you sail by floating villages, limestone rocks jutting out of the emerald waters and intriguing caves, you won’t be able to stop taking photos!
- Upon arrival at the island, grab a drink, enjoy a delicious lunch and start to relax on this private slice of paradise!
- In the afternoon, choose between the activity of high-speed tubing or wake-boarding, or you can set off rock-climbing with the professional guides, scaling the cliffs right over the beach for amazing views!
- As evening approaches, join in a game of football or volleyball on the beach or simply relax and catch the last of the rays.
- Prepare to party and dance the night away under the stars with new friends!
Lunch and dinner included.
Day 2 – All Day Cruise of Halong Bay
- Enjoy a filling breakfast and prepare for an epic day ahead.
- Board a traditional junk boat and cruise through the spectacular Lan Ha Bay, past local fisherman and their floating villages.
- Jump off the top deck (if you dare) for a swim before grabbing a kayaking partner for a guided tour, exploring the rich history of Halong Bay amidst limestone caves and jade green lagoons.
- Keep your eyes peeled for the endangered Langur Monkey, native to the area, as you make your way back to the boat for a delicious lunch onboard.
- Cruise the afternoon away, stopping for more swimming and plenty more fun, as you return to the island to meet the new crew that’s just arrived.
- Do it all over again in the evening with drinks, dinner and dancing!
- Don’t forget to make a late-night trip to the beach to see the incredible bioluminescent plankton. As you move your body in the water the plankton sparkles all around you like you are swimming amidst the stars!
Breakfast, lunch and dinner included.
Day 3 – Leave Paradise and Head Back to Hanoi…
- Enjoy a leisurely last morning and take in the scenery on your last day at Castaways Island.
- Take a kayak out, go for a swim, or just nurse a hangover chilling in the sun before having lunch on the island.
- Head back to Hanoi by boat and minibus. You will arrive back in the city at approximately 5pm.
- If this is the beginning of your journey through Vietnam, the Vietnam Backpackers Hostel Team can help you plan any onward adventure with your new travel buddies.
- If you’re just not ready to leave Castaways Island, you can always stay “one more night”…
Breakfast and lunch included.
What’s Included in the Price
- All Accommodation – The accommodation on Castaways Island is in 5 open-air bungalows on the beach. They consist of mixed dorms, with about 20-24 beds per bungalow.
- All Activities – Rock climbing, wake boarding, kayaking, day cruise, volleyball and high speed tubing!
- Meals – As outlined in the itinerary above.
- Transport – To and from Hanoi.
NOTE: Activities vary in duration and grade depending on availability and weather.
What’s Not Included
- Travel insurance – We strongly recommend that passengers have their own travel insurance against illness, injury, loss/damage to personal belongings and cancellations in the case of bad weather.
- Drinks – Alcoholic and soft drinks, other than water with lunch.
Cashless System on the Island
- Castaways island is cashless, which means that you will receive a wrist-band which you can load with your chosen balance at either of the Vietnam Backpackers’ Hostels in Hanoi before departing for the island.
- This electronic payment system is the safest way to prevent any issues with lost or stolen money during the trip.
- You can keep your money, luggage, and valuable items in a secure storage at the hostel and you can use the wristband to pay for drinks on the island.
- Any money that you don’t spend is all refundable.
- Once you’ve booked the trip online, you will need to check-in at least 24 hours before the trip departs into any of the Vietnam Backpackers Hostels in Hanoi to sign the terms and conditions and load money into the wristband.
What days does the trip depart?
The Castaways trip departs every single day of the week!
Where do I meet the group?
The trip departs from either of the Vietnam Backpackers Hostels in the Old Quarter of Hanoi. If you are staying at either of these hostels, please be downstairs in the reception at the times below. If you are staying at a different accommodation, make your way to your nearest hostel at the time stated.
- Vietnam Backpackers Original Hostel (48 Ngo Huyen Street, Hoan Kiem District) – 6.15 am – Google map here.
- Vietnam Backpackers Downtown Hostel – (9 Pho Ma May Street, Hoan Kiem District) – 6.30 am – Google map here.
If you are already in Halong Bay, you can meet the rest of the group at Ben Boa Port Cat Ba at 11.30 am to board the boat to the island. You would first need to purchase the trip on this website and then add a note to your booking to advise the team to wait for you at the port.
Can I stay in Halong Bay after the tour has finished?
If you would like to remain in Halong Bay after the tour has finished rather than returning to Hanoi, please state at the time of booking.
Do I have to reconfirm my place on the tour?
Yes, you must reconfirm your place on the tour 24 hours before the tour departs either at the Travel Desk in the foyer of the hostel. Here, you will need to ‘check-in’ for the tour, sign the terms and conditions and purchase your cashless wrist band.
As you will pay only a deposit on this website, you will need to pay the remaining balance of the trip at the hostel before departing for your adventure 24 hours before.
If you are arriving to the hostel less than 24 hours before the departure time of the tour full payment must be made to confirm your booking directly to Vietnam Backpackers Hostels. If this is the case, please state at the time of booking and a member of the team will contact you to advise you how to pay the remaining balance.
What is the food like during the tour?
You will be eating a Vietnamese buffet prepared on the island by local cooks. The emphasis is on fresh food wherever possible and meals are nutritious and varied. If you are vegetarian, have food allergies or do not eat seafood, please add a note at the time of booking. If you have very specific dietary needs, please also specify. All meals are included in the price.
How fit do I have to be?
The activities on the island are optional, though a reasonable level of fitness and swimming ability is preferable to fully enjoy the experience. If you enjoy kayaking through caves, swimming in sheltered bays, rock climbing in national parks and directly experiencing the environment then this tour is perfect for you! If you have any doubts about your suitability for the trip, please contact us.
Do I have to participate in all activities?
In order to fully enjoy the trip, full involvement is encouraged, but all the activities are optional and no one is going to force you to do something you don’t want to do.
How much luggage can I take?
Due to limited vehicle space and the nature of island accommodation, you should try to limit yourself to a maximum of 15 kg in a backpack or overnight bag.
Can I store luggage at the hostel
You can leave a larger backpack and any valuables in a safe storage locker at the hostel back in Hanoi if you like.
What should I bring with me?
Recommended packing list – Passport. swim-suit, towel, light clothes, flip flops, sturdy trainers or hiking shoes, sunscreen, toiletries, raincoat for rainy season, warm sweater for the cooler months, mosquito repellent, camera, torch, a healthy appetite and a good attitude!
Can I bring my own drinks?
No. There is a fully licensed and stocked bar on the island and for safety reasons, you are not permitted to take your own alcohol. This ensures responsible drinking practices with measured amounts of real, quality alcohol. The hostel staff reserve the right to confiscate any contraband found and remove any individual from the island without refund if they are putting themselves or others at risk.
Conditions of Travel and Liability
In circumstances beyond the control of Vietnam Backpacker Hostels and the associated tour operators, such as weather conditions, mechanical failure, and/or restrictions placed by the National Park Authorities, we reserve the right to alter the route or itinerary of any of the tours. No refunds will be given in these circumstances, or in the event of any delay, curtailment or alteration of the trip.
Whilst Vietnam Backpackers Hostels make every effort to safeguard their clients and their belongings, they cannot be held responsible for personal injury or loss due to events beyond our control. They also cannot be held liable for operations conducted by local contracted service providers. Due to circumstances beyond their control, they cannot guarantee pick-up and drop-off times and are not liable for passenger failure to connect with other transport, such as flights, or any associated costs incurred.
South East Asia Backpacker has tried and tested adventures across the region and handpicked a selection of only the BEST companies to work with.
Why we chose Vietnam Backpackers Hostels?
Vietnam Backpacker Hostels are legendary on the Southeast Asian backpacker trail for one reason. They provide so much more than just a bed. The second a backpacker arrives at one of their hostels or signs up for a trip – they become part of a huge family that looks out for one another – meaning that it’s impossible to ever be lonely again!
Their value for money trips are designed for backpackers who are wanting to cram in as many activities and meet as many people as possible. Be prepared for non-stop fun when booking a trip with these guys!
We first met the Aussie owners of the hostel chain, Max and Mick, almost 10 years ago when they only had one hostel in Hanoi. They now have several all across the country and their success is a testament to the fact that they understand backpackers and know how to organise some the best trips in the country! Having been backpackers themselves back in the day, they know what a backpacker wants and how to provide it to them.
With their awesome team, you’ll get to visit exclusive and off the beaten track destinations, hang out with like-minded travellers, enjoy incredible activities and feel safe in the hands of a professional tour operator and Vietnam’s best guides!
All trips offered by Vietnam Backpackers —> Castaways Island Halong Bay Tour | The Buffalo Run | Mai Chau Valley Trip | SUP Monkey Tour.