A trip to Castaways Island in Halong Bay is THE Bucket List, Must-Do Activity in Vietnam – just ask backpackers on the trail in Southeast Asia! The adventure departs every day of the week from Hanoi so just choose your date and get ready for the experience of a lifetime…
Castaways Island, Halong Bay Trip – 3 Day, 2 Night Itinerary
Day 1 – Depart Hanoi for Castaways Island, Halong Bay
- Meet your crew bright and early at one of the two Vietnam Backpackers Hostels in Hanoi.
- Travel to Halong Bay by minibus and then hop on a traditional Vietnamese sail boat to take you to Castaways Island. As you sail by floating villages, limestone rocks jutting out of the emerald waters and intriguing caves, you won’t be able to stop taking photos!
- Upon arrival at the island, grab a drink, enjoy a delicious lunch and start to relax on this private slice of paradise!
- In the afternoon, choose between the activity of high-speed tubing or wake-boarding, or you can set off rock-climbing with the professional guides, scaling the cliffs right over the beach for amazing views!
- As evening approaches, join in a game of football or volleyball on the beach or simply relax and catch the last of the rays.
- Prepare to party and dance the night away under the stars with new friends!
Lunch and dinner included.
Day 2 – All Day Cruise of Halong Bay
- Enjoy a filling breakfast and prepare for an epic day ahead.
- Board a traditional junk boat and cruise through the spectacular Lan Ha Bay, past local fisherman and their floating villages.
- Jump off the top deck (if you dare) for a swim before grabbing a kayaking partner for a guided tour, exploring the rich history of Halong Bay amidst limestone caves and jade green lagoons.
- Keep your eyes peeled for the endangered Langur Monkey, native to the area, as you make your way back to the boat for a delicious lunch onboard.
- Cruise the afternoon away, stopping for more swimming and plenty more fun, as you return to the island to meet the new crew that’s just arrived.
- Do it all over again in the evening with drinks, dinner and dancing!
- Don’t forget to make a late-night trip to the beach to see the incredible bioluminescent plankton. As you move your body in the water the plankton sparkles all around you like you are swimming amidst the stars!
Breakfast, lunch and dinner included.
Day 3 – Leave Paradise and Head Back to Hanoi…
- Enjoy a leisurely last morning and take in the scenery on your last day at Castaways Island.
- Take a kayak out, go for a swim, or just nurse a hangover chilling in the sun before having lunch on the island.
- Head back to Hanoi by boat and minibus. You will arrive back in the city at approximately 5pm.
- If this is the beginning of your journey through Vietnam, the Vietnam Backpackers Hostel Team can help you plan any onward adventure with your new travel buddies.
- If you’re just not ready to leave Castaways Island, you can always stay “one more night”…
Breakfast and lunch included.
What’s Included in the Price
- All Accommodation – The accommodation on Castaways Island is in 5 open-air bungalows on the beach. They consist of mixed dorms, with about 20-24 beds per bungalow.
- All Activities – Rock climbing, wake boarding, kayaking, day cruise, volleyball and high speed tubing!
- Meals – As outlined in the itinerary above.
- Transport – To and from Hanoi.
NOTE: Activities vary in duration and grade depending on availability and weather.
What’s Not Included
- Travel insurance – We strongly recommend that passengers have their own travel insurance against illness, injury, loss/damage to personal belongings and cancellations in the case of bad weather.
- Drinks – Alcoholic and soft drinks, other than water with lunch.
Cashless System on the Island
- Castaways island is cashless, which means that you will receive a wrist-band which you can load with your chosen balance at either of the Vietnam Backpackers’ Hostels in Hanoi before departing for the island.
- This electronic payment system is the safest way to prevent any issues with lost or stolen money during the trip.
- You can keep your money, luggage, and valuable items in a secure storage at the hostel and you can use the wristband to pay for drinks on the island.
- Any money that you don’t spend is all refundable.
- Once you’ve booked the trip online, you will need to check-in at least 24 hours before the trip departs into any of the Vietnam Backpackers Hostels in Hanoi to sign the terms and conditions and load money into the wristband.