Experience THE BEST Scenery in Vietnam!
The True North motorbike adventure will be the BEST THING you’ll do in Vietnam! That’s what the riders say…
A wild, unforgettable journey through Vietnam’s most amazing scenery and a relatively new area for travellers to explore; Ha Giang province offers twisting mountain roads, unexplored towns and no signposts. True North is a trip for the adventurous backpacker who wants to be among the first to find out what this remote region has to offer!
With over 10 years experience riding motorbikes in Ha Giang, Flipside provides a tour that takes in the Northern Loop and it’s surrounding areas, exploring the paddies and buffalo trails the indigenous H’Mong people use. Secret swimming holes, waterfalls and an “unannounced” footstep into China await as we drive over 300km in three unforgettable days!
Cresting vertiginous peaks and diving into Southeast Asia’s deepest valley, the Ma Pi Leng, on a motorbike is an absolutely essential experience on any trip through Asia! We emphasise connecting with the local communities, staying with local families and eating the best local produce the region has.
A combination of Western guides and Vietnamese Xe Oms, or easy-riders, allows us to prepare for any situation and offer guests the option to drive themselves (provided they have some biking experience) or sit at the back of a bike as pillion and really soak in the breath-taking views.
After a long days drive we kick back at night sampling the local rice-wine and customs such as bathing in a local spa, checking out traditional markets and festivals and, of course, the ancient art of karaoke (a much loved Vietnamese pastime)! It is truly a trip like no other – the culmination of our constant exploration and desire to find what we think is the True North of Vietnam. It will be the BEST thing you do in Vietnam.
Ride solo, carry a pal on the back or ride shotgun, it’s up to you!
The Ha Giang Province offers some of the world’s most spectacular roads, we take you on the very best of those roads, ensuring this is “the best” experience you have in Vietnam.
If you are unsure about driving a motorbike yourself (we do a short test before we start with every driver) you can always sit on the back of an experienced Vietnamese Xe Om (Easy Rider) and fully soak in the views/listen to tunes etc.
True North Day By Day Itinerary
This is the ‘start date’ that you should choose on the calendar.
18:30 pm – Depart Flipside hostel with the crew to catch the overnight bus to Ha Giang.
- 6:00 am – Arrive in Ha Giang. Shower, have breakfast, hand in passports to receive the loop permit, pick up motorbikes and prepare for your adventure!
- 9:30 am – Set off from Ha Giang and head for the Geo-National Park. There are many photo opportunities on the way, of course!
- 12:00 pm – Eat lunch and check out an interesting local market.
- 1:00 pm – Take a dip in a local swimming hole before hopping back on the bikes! (Depending on weather conditions)
- 4:00 pm – Arrive at Yen Minh, check into the guest house, eat dinner and then head out to a couple of the local street bars to try some local beer and rice wine.
- 7:30 am – Breakfast at the guesthouse.
- 8:00 am – Leave Yen Minh on our motorbikes and head through Meo Vac and over Ma Pi Leng Pass. (Prepare for epic scenery!)
- 12:00 pm – Drop bags off in Dong Van and eat lunch.
- 1:00 pm – There are two options today… (Will depend on the weather and what each group wants to do). We either jump back on the bikes and ride up to the most Northern point of Vietnam (where we’ll even take a cheeky step across into China!) or have take a rest from biking and check out the Dong Van French Fortress Ruins. TBC!
- 5:00 pm – Check in at the hotel and grab a refreshing beer!
- 7:00 am – Have breakfast at the hotel.
- 7:30 am – Set off from the home-stay heading for Yen Minh.
- 8:30 am – Visit one of the minority villages and check out their local market.
- 12:00pm – Lunch
- 4:30 pm – Arrive back at Ha Giang. Shower, dinner and enjoy a few beers while waiting for the bus back to Hanoi. What an amazing adventure!
- 8:30 pm – Hop on the night bus and back to Hanoi.
- 6:00 am – Arrive back in Hanoi.
What’s included on the trip?
- Permission certificate to enter Ha Giang Province
- All meals during the three days riding
- Motorbike rental
- English speaking guide
- All transfers
- Option to drive the bike yourself (previous bike experience is essential) or ride pillion (with an experienced local driver). The cost is the same.
- Your camera and an adventurous attitude!
What’s not included?
- Travel Insurance – We highly recommend travel insurance that covers motorbike injuries
- Drinks and personal expenses
- Extra snacks
- Bike repair due to riding failure