The True North motorbike adventure will be the BEST THING you’ll do in Vietnam! That’s what the riders say…
A wild, unforgettable journey through Vietnam’s most amazing scenery and a relatively new area for tourists to explore; Ha Giang province offers twisting mountain roads, unexplored towns and no signposts. True North is a trip for the adventurous backpacker who wants be among the first to find out what this remote region has to offer.
With over 10 years experience riding motorbikes in Ha Giang, Flipside provides a tour that takes in the Northern Loop and it’s surrounding areas, exploring the paddies and buffalo trails the indigenous H’Mong people use. Secret swimming holes, waterfalls and an “unannounced” trip into China await as we drive over 300km in three days.
Cresting vertiginous peaks and diving into South East Asia’s deepest valley, the Ma Pi Leng, on a motorbike is an absolutely essential experience on any trip through Asia. We emphasise connecting with the local communities, staying with local families and eating the best produce the region has.
A combination of Western guides and Vietnamese Xe Oms, or easy-riders, allows us to prepare for any situation and offer guests the option to drive themselves (provided they have some biking experience) or sit at the back of a bike as pillion and really soak in the breath-taking views.
After a long days drive we kick back at night sampling the local rice-wine and customs such as bathing in a local spa, checking out traditional markets and festivals and, of course, the ancient art of karaoke. It is truly a trip like no other – the culmination of our constant exploration and desire to find what we think is the True North of Vietnam. It will be the BEST thing you do in Vietnam.
Experience “The best scenery in Vietnam”!
The Ha Giang province offers some of the world’s most spectacular roads, we take you on the very best of those roads, ensuring this is “the best” experience you have in Vietnam.
Ride solo, carry a pal on the back or ride shotgun, it’s up to you!
18:30 pm – Depart hostel for the night bus.
- 6:00 am – Arrive in Ha Giang. Shower, have breakfast, hand in passports to receive the permit, pick up motorbikes etc.
- 9:30 am – Set off from Ha Giang and head for the Geo-national Park. Many photo opportunities on the way, of course.
- 12:00 pm – Eat lunch and check out a local market.
- 1:00 pm – Take a dip in a local swimming hole! (Depending on weather conditions)
- 4:00 pm – Arrival at Yen Minh, check in to the guest house, eat dinner and then head out to a couple of the local street bars to try some local beer and rice wine.
- 7:30 am – Breakfast.
- 8:00 am – Leave Yen Minh on our motorbikes and head through Meo Vac and over Ma Pi Leng pass. (Epic scenery!)
- 12:00 pm – Drop bags off in Dong Van and eat lunch.
- 1:00 pm – Two options… (Will depend on the weather and what the group want to do). We either jump back on the bikes and ride up to the most northern point of Vietnam (where we’ll even take a cheeky step across into China) or have take a rest from biking and check out the Dong Van French Fortress Ruins.
- 5:00 pm – Check in at the hotel and grab a refreshing beer!
- 7:00 am – Breakfast.
- 7:30 am – Set off from the home-stay heading for Yen Minh.
- 8:30 am – Visit one of the minority villages and check out their market.
- 12:00pm – Lunch
- 4:30 pm – Arrive at Ha Giang. Shower, dinner and enjoy a few beers while waiting for the bus.
- 8:30 pm – Hop on the night bus and back to Hanoi.
- Permission certificate for Ha Giang province
- All meals
- Bike rental
- English speaking guide
- All transfers
- Option to drive the bike yourself (previous bike experience is essential) or ride pillion.
- Your camera and an adventurous attitude!
What’s not included?
- Travel Insurance – We highly recommend travel insurance that covers motorbike injuries.
- Drinks and personal expenses.
- Extra snacks.
- Bike repair due to riding failure.