This SSI Discover Scuba Diving Course gives beginners a chance to get a taste of scuba diving without having to commit to the three-day Open Water Diver Course.
Before you take to the ocean… your experienced instructor will show you some basic diving and safety skills and take you on an underwater tour up to 12 metres. The seas around beautiful Koh Tao island are teeming with life and you don’t have to dive into the depths of the deep blue sea to see some amazing creatures such as parrot fish, angel fish and clownfish (Nemo!)
The Discover Scuba Diving experience takes place over an afternoon, with the below schedule when possible…
SSI Discover Scuba Diving Schedule – 1 Day
10:30 a.m – 11.15 a.m
- You’ll get some paperwork done and complete a medical form, before getting sized up with your Scuba Diving Equipment.
- Afterwards, your instructor will take you through some very basic theory about what to do and what not to do under the water.
- There will be a quick quiz at the end (which is very easy!) and then you’ll be ready to head out on our boat.
- Make sure you have a big breakfast, or early lunch since diving burns lots of calories, and on the boat, we only provide cookies, fruit, water, tea and coffee!
11.45 a.m – 5.30 p.m
- It’s time to head out diving! We’ll take you to the most suitable shallow & calm dive site depending on the conditions that day. You’ll be helped into your gear by your instructor, given an overview of how it all works, enter the water and swim to the beach.
- Once there, we shall complete some basic scuba diving skills in water deep enough to stand up in. Once completed we shall progress into a dive, gradually making our way deeper under the direct supervision of your instructor. This gives most people around 45 minutes enjoying Koh Tao’s beautiful marine life!
- After a small break, we’ll usually change dive sites for your optional second dive of around 45 minutes, and a maximum depth of 12 metres.
- Since you have already completed the skills and a prior dive, most people find that they have a lot more control over their dive, and as a result, notice much more diversity in the marine life around them. It’s at this point that many people start falling in love with the underwater world and the weightless freedom that diving offers!
Ready to get Qualified?
If you enjoy your first ever diving experience, you can do an additional dive on the same trip for only 1,000 THB more. And, if you love it (and we know you will) you can carry on and become a qualified diver! You can count this experience towards the full SSI Open Water Course, with full credit applied, which will then allow you to dive around the world to a depth of 18 metres. To do this, you ONLY pay the remaining amount between the cost of our SSI Open Water course and the money you already paid for your SSI Discover Scuba Diving course.