- 6:00am – Enjoy breakfast including iced coffee or tea at the Friends Travel Vietnam Office. From here you will journey via taxi to the nearby bus station.
- 6:30am – Bus from Hanoi to Ha Giang departs. The bus is a limousine bus with comfortable seats. The journey to Ha Giang takes around 7 hours.
- 2:00pm – Arrival in Ha Giang where you will be taken for lunch and then dropped off at your homestay in Thon Tha Village, Ha Giang. The afternoon is free time for you to explore the village. Dinner will be provided in the evening.
Route: Ha Giang – Heaven’s Gate – Quan Ba Pass – Yen Minh – Vuong palace – Dong Van
Day 2 involves 155km of riding and walking for around an hour. You can meet people from the Mong ethnic minority group who live here and learn about their lives. Throughout your journey, you will see beautiful mountainous scenery and there will be plenty of places to stop and take photos.
Enjoy the view from Heaven’s Gate which is 1500m high and also take in the sights of the incredible twin mountains in Quan Ba. A restaurant lunch will be served in Yen Minh.
After lunch, you will drive down from Ha Giang and make a stop around 15km west of Dong Van. This will give you the opportunity to visit the Vuong Palace which was built for the Mong King by his people.
Around 5.00pm, you will arrive in Dong Van where you will have dinner before spending the night in a local hotel: Xuan Thu Guest House. This hotel features a shared lounge and bar so you can enjoy a beer after your long day! The remaining time is yours to spend and although Dong Van is a quiet village, it is a great place to explore, especially in the old quarter.
Route: Dong Van – Chinese Border – Flag Tower – Ma Pi Leng Pass – Meo Vac
Breakfast is served before you visit the Chinese border and the flag tower. From here, you will ride through the Dong Van Geopark until you arrive at the Ma Pi Leng Pass which gives way to stunning views. It is commonly touted as the best pass to visit in Vietnam and this has earned it the nickname of the ‘King’ of Vietnam’s passes. At the top of this pass, the 20km happiness road begins. It has been handmade by the local people.
As you pass into Meo Vac you will see some of Vietnam’s most beautiful landscapes, scenery you are sure to remember forever! After you arrive in the town of Meo Vac at around 5.00pm, you will be shown to your guesthouse. Dinner will be served that evening.
Route: Meo Vac – Lung Phin – Mau Due – Du Gia – Ha Giang
Your day will begin at around 7.00am from the Meo Vac homestay.
Lunch will be provided between Dong Van and Ha Giang where you will eat in a local restaurant. During the journey, you will get the opportunity to visit a rice terrace in Mau Due where you can have a go at trekking!
You will arrive back in Ha Giang at around 3.30pm before collecting your stuff, ready for the return bus journey to Hanoi.
The limousine bus to Hanoi departs at 16.00pm and will pick you up from the Mr Hung Ha Giang homestay.
The bus is scheduled to get to Hanoi at around 22.00pm. The drop-off point will be the My Dinh Bus Station where you will be transferred by car to the Old Quarter.
Please Note: If you are a solo traveller and we are not able join you with another traveller on this tour, or you prefer to travel alone, then there will be an additional cost of $75 US (single supplement).
Friends Travel Vietnam
The South East Asia Backpacker Community have tried and tested adventures across the region and handpicked a selection of only the BEST companies to work with.
Why we chose Friends Travel Vietnam?
We chose Friends Travel Vietnam because they provide experiences beyond the norm. Their trips take you off the beaten track, away from the tourist crowds and their respect for local cultures and the environment can be 100% relied on. The owners Sidney (Dutch) & Thao (Vietnamese) his wife and their team do everything they can to make sure that travellers (since 2013) have the best experience possible and we consistently hear glowing reports. Here are some reasons why we love Friends Travel Vietnam and why we think you will too:
- They think small – They take the care and attention to ensure that even the smallest of details is well thought out.
- They think local – They go to great lengths to ensure that the encounter between the traveller and the local community is beneficial to all.
- They think about the planet – An aspect of travel which is often sadly overlooked. Friends Travel Vietnam ensure that the tours they organise have a positive effect on the planet.
- They only provide tours that they would truly like to go on themselves – This carries through every aspect of the tour, the guide, the accommodation, the transport, food etc. Everything has to meet the high standards that the company themselves would demand when travelling.
- They are honest – This can refer to a number of situations. For instance, if bad weather is expected during the time that a customer has booked a tour, Friends Travel will inform them of this and make suggestions as to the ideal clothes for them to bring with them. Sometimes the accommodation provided on a certain tour is basic, in a shared room, or simple mattresses on the floor. In each of these situations, the accommodation will be good and highly appropriate for the trip in question. However, it is very important that the traveller knows what to expect.
- They only offer a small collection of tours, but they are awesome – Here at South East Asia Backpacker we are guided too by this exact philosophy. There is too much choice in this world of travel. Both we and Friends Travel Vietnam believe that by offering only the very best activities and doing them as well as humanly possible, we can ensure an amazing experience for the traveller.
- Their support continues after the tour – When you come to the end of your time with Friends Travel, they will be very happy to help you with the next stage of your journey, whatever you may need!
1. How long is usually spent on the bikes each day?
You will drive approximately 5 to 6 hours per day, with stops between.
2. How is luggage transported while you’re on the bikes?
We advise that you travel with a daypack for the days that you are on the trip. Larger luggage, such as a big rucksack or suitcase, can be stored safely at the Friends Travel Office in Hanoi or in Ha Giang.
3. What is the accommodation like? Are there private rooms?
Along the way, you will stay in home-stays or in local guesthouses. Private rooms are available (please request in the ‘additional information’ box when booking.
4. Do the drivers speak English?
Every group will travel with a main tour guide who speaks very good English. Some of the other drivers in your group may not have as good English, but will be happy to teach you a little Vietnamese! 😉
5. Do I need to check availability before booking?
No need to check availability, the tour runs every day with 2 or more people. You can simply book on this page.