UPDATE: As of October 1st, the Samui Sandbox has now been shortened to 7 days. There is no longer the requirement to stay at a Samui Extra Plus Hotel. According to the TAT, any SHA+ hotel is now permitted. However, many of the listed hotels are still permitted under SHA+ status. Travellers are only allowed to change SHA+ accommodation a maximum of three times while on the scheme. Keep up to date with changes to the Samui Plus Programme here.
Thailand’s Samui Plus scheme allows fully vaccinated international tourists to return to the popular islands of Koh Samui, Koh Phangan and Koh Tao. The scheme states that travellers must spend the first week of their trip in one of twelve dedicated Samui Extra Plus hotels.
These hotels, hand-picked by the Tourism Authority of Thailand, are used solely by those entering Thailand on the Samui Plus plan. We look at each hotel in detail to help you find the best option for you!
Be sure to read up on the Samui Plus plan (link below)! It covers the scheme’s requirements, including the 7-day no alcohol rule, details of swimming pool access and other restrictions for guests who are staying on the island…
Read more: (opens in new tab)
- Thailand’s Samui Plus Plan
- Pandemic Essentials for Quarantine and Transit
- Thailand COVID-19 Travel Restrictions
Disclaimer: COVID-19 travel restrictions are changing daily. The following information reflects South East Asia Backpacker’s current understanding of the rules. We work hard to update this information as often and accurately as possible. However, we cannot be held responsible for any errors or omissions. We strongly advise you to contact the embassy of the country you are visiting for the latest information.
12 Samui Extra Plus Hotels
Although there is information on official sites to suggest that there are 17 hotels that have been designated as Samui Extra Plus, this information is out of date. On 18th August 2021, The Tourism Authority of Thailand announced that there are now only 12 Samui Extra Plus hotels to choose from.
Please note: The list of government-approved Samui Extra Plus hotels can change without any notice.
1. Baan Hin Sai Resort & Spa
- Standard: starts at 12,100 THB
- Villa: starts at 17,000 THB
- Family room: starts at 26,200 THB
- Includes: Breakfast, 7 nights accommodation, 4 x water bottles daily, WiFi, welcome amenities
This beautiful getaway is a wonderful place to complete your mandatory seven-night stay in a Samui Extra Plus hotel, especially if you are on a budget. Baan Hin Sai Resort and Spa is located close to the Samui viewpoint between Lamai and Chaweng, providing a good central location, just 20 minutes from the airport.
The high-speed free WiFi makes this a good choice if you have work commitments and the staff are particularly attentive, allowing you to request exercise equipment to keep you fit throughout your stay. It is by far the most cost-effective option out of all of the Samui Extra Plus hotels and comfortably delivers where it should.
2. Fair House Villas & Spa
- Garden villa: starts at 46,700 THB
- Seaview garden: starts at 48,800 THB
- Sunset suite: starts at 52,300 THB
- Ocean suite: starts at 57,200 THB
- Pool villa: starts at 60,700 THB
- Beachfront pool villa: starts at 95,700 THB
- Includes: Breakfast, 7 nights accommodation, round-trip transfers from airport, 3 x RT-PCR tests, 30% discount of food and drink at Bre-Eze Restaurant
This five-star hotel was recently renovated in 2020. It is nestled in a wonderfully tropical setting, allowing you to feel connected to nature even when you are completing the first three days of the Samui Plus scheme in your room.
There are 72 elegantly furnished Thai style suites and villas in the hotel, all of which have internet access. Samui airport is just shy of 10 miles from the hotel and your transfer is included in your Samui Extra Plus hotel package.
3. AVANI+ Samui
- Deluxe room: starts at 51,00 THB
- Pool villa: starts at 67,000 THB
- Beachfront pool villa: starts at 80,000 THB
- Two bedroom beachfront pool villa: starts at 109,000 THB
- Includes: Transportation from Samui airport, 7 x nights accommodation, daily full board, transport to next destination in Samui, 3 x RT-PCR tests
To get your Samui stay off to the right start, consider booking with AVANI+ Samui. This hotel is located on the southwestern side of Samui, offering a quiet retreat for travellers. It has 58 stylish rooms and pool villas.
If you opt for a private pool villa, this means that you can enjoy a swim during the Samui Plus plan. This is an option that those with shared pool access do not have. The staff are highly rated and no request is too much trouble to enhance your stay.
4. The Samui Beach Resort
- Corridor room: starts at 22,050 THB
- Deluxe room: starts at 28,000 THB
- Villa: starts at 58,450 THB
- Includes: 7 x nights accommodation, daily breakfasts, free tourist SIM every 3 days (6GB)
Located in Chaweng, this resort has rooms and villas available. The resort is decorated in a contemporary style while at the same time housing everything you would need to ensure a comfortable stay.
There is air conditioning, WiFi, a flat-screen television, a minibar (of course with no alcohol as per Samui Plus regulations) and private bathrooms. Some villas have balconies that benefit from sea views.
Please note: Unlike most other hotels, The Samui Beach Resort does not offer the required PCR tests inclusive of their week-long Samui Extra Plus package.
5. The Spa Resort Samui
- Garden of Eden room: starts at 42,500 THB
- Shangri-La Suite: starts at 65,450 THB
- Includes: 7 x nights accommodation, daily full board, free WiFi, one way transport service
The Spa Resort is a wellness boutique resort, situated above Lamai Village in a beautiful mountainous area on Koh Samui. Rooms come with air conditioning, flat-screen television, mini-fridge and of course, high-speed WiFi.
Many of the Garden of Eden rooms have either a pool or beach view. There is just one suite available throughout the hotel. The hotel is clean and comfortable, with a fusion of contemporary decor and traditional Thai features. Bear in mind that this hotel is strictly non-smoking.
This hotel is a great option for those who want to feel like they are still on holiday, even when restricted to the same hotel and selected routes.
6. The Lamai Samui
- Pavilion pool villa: starts at 85,897 THB
- Ocean pool villa: starts at 99,897 THB
- The Verandah: starts at 68,397 THB
- The Terrace: starts at 71,897 THB
- Includes: 7 x nights accommodation, breakfast, lunch and dinner, round-trip private transport service, 3 x RT-PCR tests
Formerly known as Le Méridien Koh Samui Resort and Spa, The Lamai Samui overlooks the incredible Lamai beach on the east coast of the island. There are 75 rooms and villas in the hotel, each with lush oriental gardens.
The whole hotel has been designed to encourage relaxation and fuses elements of feng shui design along with a light atmosphere that is bound to make you feel at ease. A platter of local fruit is provided for guests on arrival and all meals are included in the package. This also includes one BBQ seafood dinner.
Tea and coffee are complimentary, along with six bottles of drinking water per day. Guests have access to 24 hour assistance and a 10% discount on additional laundry if required.
7. Aura Samui Best Beach
- Aura classic room: starts at 120,00 THB
- Includes: TBC
This is another Samui Extra Plus resort which is located in Lamai beach. There is decent WiFi throughout the hotel, including in public areas and bedrooms. All of the bathrooms have deep soaking bathtubs, ideal for those who want the first week of the Samui Sandbox to be a relaxing one!
Rooms open onto patios or balconies, meaning that you can still get that all important fresh air during the first three days of your stay. Additional amenities can be requested so you’re craving something you don’t have, just ask!
8. Moonstone Samui
- Villa: starts at 257,500THB (increases with number of guests, max capacity 12 adults)
- Includes: 7 x nights of accommodation, full board meals, private airport transfers, 3 x RT-PCR tests, 24hr duty nurse, 10% discount on laundry service
This private villa is a great choice for large groups or families on the Samui Plus scheme. It has six bedrooms, meaning there is plenty of space for the kids to enjoy. The villa is located on the oceanfront which equals beautiful views for the duration of your stay.
Moonstone Villa is located in one of Koh Samui’s most exclusive neighbourhoods and visitors love the privacy afforded here. The reviews from guests are simply superb, travellers seem to love this slice of paradise!
The villa has a cinema room and gym, meaning you’ll have plenty to occupy you during your stay. The attentive team of five full-time staff love what they do and are more than willing to help with anything you need.
9. Clay Beach Villa
- 2 bedroom loft: starts at 128,000 THB
- 3 bedroom courtyard: starts at 233,000 THB
- Entire villa: starts at 331,600 THB
- Includes: 7 x nights accommodation, one-way airport transfer, full board meals, maid, PCR tests and other covid related services
There are three five-bedroom villas at Clay Beach which is located close to Bophut Beach. These villas would suit artsy families who appreciate the slick, modern decor. The villas have kitchens which are very handy if you are travelling with picky eaters!
It is possible to reach out to the attentive staff with any requests using an online system. The villas are very spacious which is definitely appreciated by guests during the first week of the Samui Plus plan.
10. Panacea Retreat
- 4 bed villa: starts at 200,702 THB
- 5 bed villa: starts at 223,429 THB
- Includes: 7 x nights accommodation, full board meals, airport transport service, required RT-PCR tests, complimentary in-room minibar (snacks only)
This elegant retreat offers high-quality accommodation in the form of a few options. There are five bedroom villas and also four bedroom villas. Free high-speed WiFi features in all rooms and the resort can facilitate the delivery of groceries direct to your door.
The retreat is close to the airport and there is an outdoor swimming pool on site. However, Samui Plus guests will only be allowed to swim in a private pool. Panacea also houses a spa centre including a sauna and fitness room.
Usually, Samui Plus guests will be able to use these kinds of facilities towards the end of their first week, however, you should always check with your accommodation provider in advance to avoid disappointment.
11. Rocky’s Boutique Resort
- Deluxe garden view: starts at 51,000 THB
- Deluxe garden pool view: starts at 54,500 THB
- Junior suite ocean view: starts at 61,500 THB
- Deluxe Thai pool villa (two bedrooms): starts at 110,000 THB
- Includes: 7 x nights accommodation, breakfast, full board meals, airport private transport service, 3 x RT-PCR tests, 4 x bottles of drinking water daily
Rocky’s Boutique Resort is another favourite among families on the Samui Sealed Route programme. They have an incredible kids club which parents can’t rate highly enough! Regardless of what room or villa you opt for, there is plenty of space, allowing you to spend your time there in comfort.
Samui international airport is around seven miles from the resort and private transfer is included in the Samui Extra Plus package. The rooms are aesthetically pleasing with wooden furniture and warm fabrics. WiFi is provided for free across the resort.
12. The Briza Beach Resort Samui
- Deluxe balcony room: starts at 38,000 THB
- Deluxe plunge pool: starts at 44,000 THB
- Oceanfront villa with private pool: starts at 72,000 THB
- Includes: 7 x nights accommodation, 4 x water bottles daily, on-call nursing services, transport service, welcome snacks and soft drinks, 3 x RT-PCR tests
This four-star beach resort is located on Samui’s most famous beach, Chaweng. It is around a 15 minute journey from the Koh Samui airport and airport transfer is included in the package.
Rooms are tastefully decorated and afford guests with plenty of room for their stay.
You can expect a warm welcome here and soft drinks and snacks are provided on arrival. Families who are taking part in the Samui Plus scheme say that Briza Beach Resort is a good option for those with kids.
There is a lot of freedom (considering that this is a Samui Extra Plus Hotel) and although a little pricey, the oceanfront village with a private pool is well worth the extra cost if your budget stretches.
Booking your Samui Extra Plus Hotel
Booking your Samui Extra Plus hotel works differently to reserving a room in a SHA+ hotel. With the latter, you are able to book your stay through a third party online, however, with the Extra Plus hotels, you will need to make a reservation with the hotel directly.
South East Asia Backpacker Newsletter
Keep up to date with the latest travel news. Be the first on the plane when travel opens up.