With a knowledgeable local guide, this 40km tour by tuk tuk or motorbike will take you to explore the local scenery of Kampot. Take in stunning views of rice fields and mountains caves, and find the secret lake. Explore the salt flats and pepper farms that produce the famous Kampot pepper and learn more about how it is produced. Also, see the local people rice farming in Kampot. Your local guide will tell you all about these landscapes and livelihoods.
Don’t miss this chance to learn more about the people, their livelihoods and the beautiful landscape of Kampot.
Stop 1: Salt Farm
Your first stop will be at a salt farm, where your guide will explain the importance of Cambodia’s salt industry to the local community of Kampot. Learn about the processes involved in this industry, and try to sneak a taste if you’re lucky!
Stop 2: Rice Fields
By your next stop, you will have noticed Kampot’s vast landscape of paddy fields. Paddy farming is a major agricultural activity in Kampot, and many local farmers still use traditional methods to farm and harvest rice. Your guide—who may even have had experience working in the paddy fields—will tell you more about the processes involved in this activity, as you take in this incredible scene.
Stop 3: Pepper Farm
Next up, your guide will lead you to a pepper farm, a well-known industry of Kampot. Here, you will learn about the different varieties of pepper and its plantations. This is also a great stop for photo opportunities!
Stop 4: Secret Lake
Moving away from Kampot’s economic activities, your guide will take you to the “Secret Lake,” originally an irrigation dam built during the Khmer Rouge regime. This is a lovely, peaceful spot to relax and swim.
Stop 5: Historical Temple Cave
Your final stop will be at a temple cave overlooking Kampot’s gorgeous, natural landscape. Learn more about this historical temple from your guide, and be sure to take lots of photos!
Estimated riding distance: 40 to 45 km.
Environment: Flat terrain, dirt road.
Fitness level: 2.5 / 5.
Guide(s) to cyclists ratio: 1 guide to 5 cyclists.
Start time: 8:00 am
Finish time: 4:30 pm
Due to the physical nature of this trips, it is extremely important that you are in good physical health and therefore able to fully participate in group riding during this long day. Prior to the start of your tour and at every trip stop during your tour, each rider is required to provide details of any pre-existing medical conditions or to inform the tour leader if he/she feels unwell. Disclosure of this information is extremely important so as to ensure that we can act effectively in the case of an emergency.
Butterfly Tours is a leading bike tour company in Cambodia operated and owned by a group of university students. Visitors taking our tours are guaranteed an experience like no other; besides viewing truly local and stunning sights, you will simultaneously be supporting an eco-friendly and sustainable effort that directly benefits rural Cambodian communities.
Butterfly Tours goes beyond being an ordinary tour company. As advocates of young Cambodian leadership, we believe in the power of education and the development of entrepreneurship. Our stance reflects the ultimate aim of our company: To create local, empowered, and independent Cambodian employers and employees who will ultimately contribute to the development of Cambodia’s local economy and the environment.
Our tours are specially designed for you to:
- Take a relaxing bike ride through local Cambodian villages in Battambang, Siem Reap, and Kampot—away from the usual tourist hotspots
- View and photograph magnificent scenery of the Cambodian countryside
- Observe Cambodia’s rural ways of life—visit local temples and learn about the variety of cottage industries, as well as our rich agricultural livelihoods
- Immerse yourself in “the local”—sample authentic Cambodian cuisine and learn about our unique Khmer customs and culture!
- Meet friendly Cambodian children and villagers!
Our tours benefit local Cambodian communities:
- We train local students and youths to be your guides, in turn offering them employment and leadership opportunities
- We personally nurture and develop leadership and managerial skills of our Butterfly team members, who are made up of Cambodian youths from the countryside
- Within villages, we engage local Cambodians to share their knowledge and skills with us, who in turn share them with you when you take our tours!
On a larger scale, our tours seek to:
- Educate visitors on the socio-cultural and economic landscape of Cambodia
- Deepen visitors’ knowledge on local Cambodian cultures and customs
- Support the integrity of local cultures by favouring businesses and local goods that conserve the cultural heritage and traditional values of Cambodia
- Support the local economy through the purchase of local goods from small Cambodian businesses
- Conserve the local environment by engaging businesses that are eco-friendly and sustainable
- Develop sustainable forms of tourism that create more jobs and support local Cambodian trade and investment