Updated April 19th, 2018.
Renowned English speaking guide Mam will guide you for 2 days and 1 night on this awesome caving and trekking expedition through the famous caves of the Soppong Area! On this trek, we will visit three caves: Tham Lod Cave, Coral Cave and Mae Lana Cave.
Mam is the only tour guide offering this exclusive tour that explores one of the longest (and almost untouched) cave systems in Asia! The cave provides the habitat for the Waterfall-Climbing “Angel Fish”.
Medium level of fitness is needed.
- The day starts with a 9:30 am pick up from your hotel. We will then travel by car/minivan 30 minutes to Kewlom Viewpoint where we’ll take a short break to admire the beautiful mountain scenery and breathe in the fresh air.
- We then continue for another 30 minutes and stop at Tham Lod Cave, the most visited cave system in the area.
- Here, we will visit the three chambers of this outstanding limestone cave by bamboo raft accompanied by a local guide.
- They will show us the most significant mineral formations and the archaeological burial site in chamber three, featuring the famous coffins carved in solid redwood logs (duration approx 2 hrs).
- We will then continue to the Mae Lana area (30 minutes) and check in at our Homestay before exploring the Coral Cave (45 minutes), visiting the village and meeting the locals.
- At 8.30, after breakfast, we are ready to descend to the incredible Mae Lana Cave, an impressive 12 km long cave system crossed by a subterranean river, a unique experience that’s well off the beaten tourist track! (8 hrs walk/medium difficulty).
- Highlights of this trek are the astonishing calcite stalactite and stalagmite formations spread through the tall rooms, the diverse fauna living in this delicate environment such as the famous blind fish, and the picturesque underground waterfall.
- We will drive back to Pai (about a 1-hour drive) at around 7 pm.
Note: This trip is only available December to May (dry season).
The price of this tour is advertised at $148 USD (4800 THB), which is based on there being 4-8 people on the trip. Please be aware that if there are fewer people on the tour, the price will be higher. (See below). If you can be flexible with your dates, please inquire about possibilities and we can add you to a tour with more people booked on it. It is not possible to run this tour for less than two people.
- 2 people trekking – $184 USD / 6000 THB / per person.
- 3 people trekking – $166 USD / 5400 THB / per person.
- 4-8 people trekking – $148 USD / 4800 THB / per person.
(To book this tour you must pay a small deposit.)