This tuk-tuk tour takes you from the centre of Battambang town to the base of Sampov Mountain, in time for you to catch the sunset and take in spectacular views of Battambang. Sampov Mountain is a truly special and spectacular place for locals and visitors alike; bask in the tranquillity and the cool mountain breeze of beautiful Sampov.
- Start time: 2:00 pm
- Finish time: 7:30 pm
Stop 1: Hike Sampov Mountain
Your tuk-tuk driver will take you to the base of Sampov Mountain. From here, your guides will lead you on a hike up the mountain. As you ascend, you will be able to take in incredible views of the lush green forest, rice fields, and the twinkling lights of the distant Battambang town—this is truly a sight to behold!
Stop 2: The Temple Wall
As we ascend, we will reach an ancient Buddhist temple with walls decorated in traditional Eastern art. Your guides will explain the many stories and traditions associated with these decorated walls and the temple’s significance to Buddhism in Cambodia.
Stop 3: Killing Caves
As light gradually fades, we will head to the Killing Caves. There, we will meet a local resident who will give us an overview of the caves and explain their significance during the Khmer Rouge period. Walk through the caves and learn more about the atrocities committed during this difficult period of Cambodia’s history, but look out too for the fissures that allow light in—a symbolic reminder that hope and reconciliation will always prevail.
Stop 4: The Sublime Lookout
As we exit the caves, we will be treated to one of the best lookouts of the tour. Immerse yourself in the sublime scenery, and take in the deep orange hues falling below the horizon. You can take a short breather here as your guides tell you local stories of Sampov Mountain, a site often used for Buddhist meditation.
Stop 5: Monkey Business!
As we approach the top of Sampov Mountain, we will likely spot small groups of monkeys scampering around the nearby trees. These monkeys are very used to having visitors and are highly entertaining. Be sure to capture pictures of them!
Stop 6: The Bat Caves
We will now start our descent down the mountain, just in time to catch the bats! As darkness falls, we will begin to see thousands of nocturnal bats taking flight from the surrounding caves in a massive formation of dark, black clouds. Be sure to photograph this amazing and staggering sight!
Butterfly Tours is a leading bike tour company in Cambodia operated and owned by a group of university students. Visitors taking our tours are guaranteed an experience like no other; besides viewing truly local and stunning sights, you will simultaneously be supporting an eco-friendly and sustainable effort that directly benefits rural Cambodian communities.
Butterfly Tours goes beyond being an ordinary tour company. As advocates of young Cambodian leadership, we believe in the power of education and the development of entrepreneurship. Our stance reflects the ultimate aim of our company: To create local, empowered, and independent Cambodian employers and employees who will ultimately contribute to the development of Cambodia’s local economy and the environment.
Our tours are specially designed for you to:
- Take a relaxing bike ride through local Cambodian villages in Battambang, Siem Reap, and Kampot—away from the usual tourist hotspots
- View and photograph magnificent scenery of the Cambodian countryside
- Observe Cambodia’s rural ways of life—visit local temples and learn about the variety of cottage industries, as well as our rich agricultural livelihoods
- Immerse yourself in “the local”—sample authentic Cambodian cuisine and learn about our unique Khmer customs and culture!
- Meet friendly Cambodian children and villagers!
Our tours benefit local Cambodian communities:
- We train local students and youths to be your guides, in turn offering them employment and leadership opportunities
- We personally nurture and develop leadership and managerial skills of our Butterfly team members, who are made up of Cambodian youths from the countryside
- Within villages, we engage local Cambodians to share their knowledge and skills with us, who in turn share them with you when you take our tours!
On a larger scale, our tours seek to:
- Educate visitors on the socio-cultural and economic landscape of Cambodia
- Deepen visitors’ knowledge on local Cambodian cultures and customs
- Support the integrity of local cultures by favouring businesses and local goods that conserve the cultural heritage and traditional values of Cambodia
- Support the local economy through the purchase of local goods from small Cambodian businesses
- Conserve the local environment by engaging businesses that are eco-friendly and sustainable
- Develop sustainable forms of tourism that create more jobs and support local Cambodian trade and investment